Every "Best Visual Effects" winner (1927-2016 Oscars)

The cinematography compilation: wow.

such incredible images-- though some of the mid century colour offerings paled next to their black and white counterparts.

3 Likes

At an early age I learned the Oscars were bullshit, when E.T. won Best VFX for the same year Blade Runner came out …

3 Likes

I saw it back when the BBC had a series of John Wayne movies on. The Duke died in just about every one of them; often in hilariously melodramatic style. If you like John Wayne, giant octopuses and deep sea-salvage, this is probably the movie for you.

1 Like

“And the academy award for the actor displaying the greatest sense on ennui goes to George Sanders…”

1 Like

Blade Runner is easily one of my favorite movies, but besides some knockout sequences early on, most of that film is spent on rainy streets, smoky rooms, and atmospheric buildings. E.T. has iconic visual effects going on in nearly every scene from start to finish.

1 Like

Also worth watching for Paulette Goddard.

1 Like

It’s a bunch of treacly nonsense about a rubber puppet.

It was re-released a few years ago and bombed the way it should have the first time.

Even if we were to discount the existence of Blade Runner, were the visual FX of E.T. superior to those of TRON, John Capenter’s The Thing, or Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan ?

No, no, and no.

That Oscar was granted to Steven Spielberg for being a big important director who made a big expensive movie, which was not really very good, and nothing special to look at.

1 Like

Okay. Thank you for your… unique opinion.

Whatever feelings you might have about the storytelling of E.T., I was only comparing the relative visual effects of Blade Runner (which was incredible, yes, but was mostly a noir piece with only a few awesome effects shots) and E.T. (which relied heavily on visual effects throughout, including the “rubber puppet” as you put it.)

And was, and is, one of the most popular and successful movies ever made. In hindsight, the effects of TRON were massively more groundbreaking than anything in E.T., but when a movie is a financial disaster, sometimes it’s hard to see what’s important about it at the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.