Every item scanned as "Mr Potato Head" in glitch at department stores

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/every-item-scanned-as-mr-pot.html

3 Likes

16 Likes

It should make returns interesting.

7 Likes

I don’t see a problem :eyes:

7 Likes

What’s more perplexing, why is a tire store stocking Mr. Potatoe Head?

8 Likes

Or maybe, just briefly, the thin fabric of illusion that separates us from reality was drawn back.

#AllIsMrPotatoHead

17 Likes

Dan, is that you?

23 Likes

Little known (perhaps) fact: the original Mr. Potato Head came without a potato/body. I distinctly recall making Picasso faces on a hefty russet my mother supplied, long before I heard of Picasso.

15 Likes

Well, you beat me to it. I was going to make a withering comment about kids today and money-grubbing joy-sucking toy makers blah blah blah…
The WHOLE POINT of a Mr Potato Head kit is that you select your own potato and get sticking.

12 Likes

Since the company’s formation 100 years ago, they’ve expanded way beyond tires.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire

4 Likes

update titem set name = ‘mr. potato head’

3 Likes

This sounds like it might have been a temporary code change during testing that a developer forgot to remove before deploying to production. Don’t ask how I know things like that happen sometimes.

12 Likes

giphy

12 Likes

I worked in the computer room at a big box home improvement store in the early aughts, and we had per-store control of the receipt footer message so we could make it seem homier. At some point, the receipts said “All your base are belong to us” at the bottom.

Sometimes I would get a call, “It says something weird on the receipt!” I would ask them to read it and repeat it a few times while I feigned ignorance and astonishment, all the while trying not to crack up while they said it. Usually I told them it must be something garbled about base cabinets.
It took a couple of months before it went high enough up the chain of command to where I got a direct order to put a different message there.

A few months later, corporate took away per-store editing, not sure if I had anything to do with it or not.

Also, I posted a pic of one of the receipts to one of the AYBABTU boards, but everyone there just thought it was a not-very-impressive shop job. I couldn’t convince anyone it was real.

12 Likes

One time i went to a random sports goods store (Dick’s Sporting Goods) to buy tennis balls for our old family dog to play with, i got something on my recipt along the lines of “Mens Balls Ass” and got a good laugh out of it. I presume it was supposed to be Assorted Balls but the chuckle was worth it.

10 Likes

Initially read this as hornier.

5 Likes

www.canadiantire.com/loginform?username=“ratel;update titem set name = ‘mr. potato head’”

3 Likes

Toy Maker Legal Dept: “What if a stuck on eye or ear etc. is missed, gets cooked with the potato, and the stuck on bit gets swallowed?”

Toy Maker Design Dept: "Get workin’ now on a tater bod’… stat!!"

3 Likes

especially as the potato oozes from the wounds.

I love you for this.

1 Like