Every word Ajit Pai says about Net Neutrality is a lie, including "and" and "the"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/27/worst-in-broadband.html

4 Likes

Great use of lying cat

12 Likes

If there’s anything I’ve observed about our Capitalist America in my 42 years on this planet it’s that when you have a large corporation, with no personal connection to the community, they will make products as cheaply as they can get away with. Sometimes so cheap that people will lower their standards and consume garbage. reconstituted chicken nuggets. particle board furniture. If there’s little to no competition, an ISP won’t improve their service unless it’s so terrible it doesn’t work at all.

20 Likes

Time for public internet service to be an option.

10 Likes

The fish rots from the head.

He learned from several accomplished liars.

6 Likes

I mean, it’s not like this guy was hired for his honesty and drive to do what’s right.

He was hired to be a puppet of the administration. And you can add that to my “dissident” file, NSA.

13 Likes

I’m well aware of how lucky I am to have cheap high speed fiber options available from a local isp who’s invested in the community, continues to invest in build-out, and won’t disappear because it’s too hard. Plus they’re committed to net neutrality and don’t believe in silly things like bandwidth caps. It would be amazing if everyone had this.

9 Likes

The cliche among engineers is “Faster, better, or cheaper, pick two.” They never pick better.

6 Likes

To be clear, it’s managers who are allergic to “better” option.

6 Likes

America’s ISPs steadily raised prices while undermaintaining their networks, turning American broadband a global joke of high prices and bad service.

Also setting the example for privatized internet service developing countries like Mexico, where people pay almost as much on a fraction of the income for the same crappy level of service.

3 Likes

Everyone here has a file like that.

5 Likes

In fairness, Mexico got their total communications monopoly the old-fashioned way: flagrant corruption producing a Ma Bell-type telephone monopoly which was allowed to directly expand into a cable TV monopoly which became the only game in town (as it were) for communications across the board.

4 Likes

without meat glue and chicken nuggets we never get to molecular gastronomy.

cheetohs and other textural variations rung around the bell of corn flour also.

your particle board furniture example is still a good one as a metaphor for cheapness but your first one not so much.

1 Like

So phonetically is that pronounced “a shit pie”?:thinking:

2 Likes

whistleblower complaint in telecom involving the universal service fund: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LyEneekRpZrX5A1feuyJRgBxjXICdOIP

I prefer the corollary: slow, expensive, crappy. Pick one.

4 Likes

There is a special place at Verizon waiting for Mr. Pai. By Verizon, I mean Hell.

1 Like

History repeats itself, first as tragedy …

When Mr. Cavett asked what was “dishonest” about Miss Hellman, Miss McCarthy answered, “Everything.” Miss McCarthy continued, “I once said in an interview that **every word she writes is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the.'”

[quoteinvestigator]

What else should one expect from a Republican and corporate tool?

1 Like

"Last year, telecom lobbying group US Telecom released a study it claimed showed that broadband investment had spiked dramatically in 2017 thanks to “positive consumer and innovation policies” and a “pro-growth regulatory approach” at the FCC.

The problem? The FCC’s net neutrality rules weren’t formally repealed until June of 2018."

There’s no “problem” here – the repeal of Net Neutrality was so cooked into the plan here (everyone on the pro-NN side of it knew it was going to happen as soon as Trump was elected, so I’m sure telecom thought that too) that investments were readily made in anticipation of the repeal. I don’t see how the lag to a formal repeal falsifies that repealing NN encouraged the spike in broadband investment.