Everyday Engineering

Well, sure but that’s one of its more boring uses. :wink:

9 Likes

Those are amazing and I wonder how many of those manual sorting and packing jobs are all robots now.

3 Likes

Just for a little fun, I present the Rockwell Automation Retro Turbo Encabulator.

I know, it’s expensive, but at $51 billion, we say our customers are worth it.

4 Likes

This reminds me of some technical translation projects I’ve been offered.

1 Like

Here’s one that’s considerably more whimsical. By which I mean “everyday engineering” should mean using the stuff in your environment, too. So good Rube Goldberg machines are absolutely worth sharing. Anyone got some ideas that don’t involve balls rolling on tracks? Or dominoes?

Including @SlyBevel. Because this is my internal concept of pool. It’s a fucking complex Rube Goldberg machine. In an ideal environment with all variables known, it works beautifully. In real life, it’s a clusterfuck that’s very difficult to solve, and I know you’ve built a Rube Goldberg machine or two. As have I.

5 Likes

This one has some rolling balls, but also some other ideas:

3 Likes

2 Likes

This is the my favorite mini-documentary on this subject.**

You’d be surprised how little has changed since 1945. All the space age computer aided design and carbon fiber hype aside, bicycles are a very mature design in a surprisingly conservative market. I’d think the manufacturing would be all robots and lasers by now, but no. The factories may have moved to Taichung but it’s still all very much handmade, from top to bottom…

** As a bike geek and a filmmaker by trade who’s done a fair share of “product making of” style videos, I’ve seen my share. What can you do, I’ve loved this stuff since childhood. Here’s a non-bike-related favorite from my portfolio:

https://vimeo.com/36823336

4 Likes

That’s not a Y intersection so much as an accident waiting to happen. :scream:

Is that dotted line for real? Can people continue straight moving north?

3 Likes

These are wonderful!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You are right, it is an accident waiting to happen and was the site of a fatal crash this year. The dotted line is for real. I did, however, make an error drawing the intersection from memory. The solid and dotted lines are in fact reversed, but the paint of the lines is so old and worn at this point they are difficult to see. I suppose at least that indicates that the right lane must yield for on coming traffic to continue straight ahead rather than following the curve, but it still seems an asinine arrangement to me.

How did he do that wit a straight face?

1 Like

He’s a professional dammit. That’s how.

2 Likes

I’m just happy they’ve managed to effectively prevent side-fumbling. That’s been getting on my nerves for a while now, but the retro encabulator has totally saved my Milford Trunions.

4 Likes

This reminds me of the new london timeline in charlie strosses merchant princes books.

1 Like

This guy takes apart and reviews power tools in more depth and with greater engineering and mechanical know-how than I could ever possess. I used to wonder why the wattage reported on power tools was always off from the reported amps and voltage. Now I know, thanks to the in depth explanation he gives in part 2: The manufacturers are lying on the box.

Also, his style of speaking is entertaining as all get out. Warning: You might lose an hour on this.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 231 days. New replies are no longer allowed.