Everyone needs a kitchen hammer

I agree completely.

Qualifications: I actually hand forge kitchen knives. There is a huge difference between knives make to hack and cleave, and knives designed to chop and slice. Beating on a chop/slice knife with a mallet is not good for the knife. Hackers and cleavers generally have a less acute secondary bevel than slicers, and are often tempered back a bit more as well (so they’re slightly softer).

IMHO, if you need to hack something, you need a big cleaver or a small hatchet. Something actually designed for the forces you’re imparting into that bit of metal.

Also, that’s my idea folks: The Kitchen Hatchet ™. Nobody make their millions off of that without sharing.

1 Like

Machetes are actually really useful for this too. Though there’s variables in that as well. Thinner, longer, more flexible ones are less appropriate for contact with bone.

1 Like

Moses wasn’t in any way a diety.

Neither was Muhammad, for that matter. My point was that people in some religions seem to be touchier about portrayals of their religious figures than people in others. Thank you for helping me make this point.

Incidentally,

And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Ugh, Christians and their sloppy translations…

From here side by side with the original Hebrew:

The Lord said to Moses, "See! I have made you a lord over Pharaoh, and Aaron, your brother, will be your speaker.

Totally different.

1 Like

The Jewish Study Bible disagrees.

The JPS one? If so there were … issues … with the committee on that one. Rather than go into it here, I’ll just suggest that your favorite search engine is your friend in this matter.

Well, you don’t like King James, you don’t like JSB, I assume you don’t like the NET or Young’s Literal Translation… that’s OK, but at this point it seems to be beyond the scope of this thread. I’m traveling in a few hours, but maybe we can resume next Saturday.

Have a safe journey! Since I’m shomer shabbos I wont be online next saturday… :grin:

1 Like

Not that I’ve been paying much attention to this bit, but the King James is pretty legendarily inaccurate. Not just in regards to Jewish texts, or early Christian texts. But just as a translation of versions they were working directly from.

GODDAMMIT!!! Every single time!

But yeah, specific tools for specific tasks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.