Everything about this “Beautiful Woman Soldering” stock photo Is wrong

Or ‘English’ as it should be called.

3 Likes

Solder, to rhyme with water?

6 Likes

OMG, so many things, in addition to the wrong side of the board (and the hand position):

1. Where IS the solder reel? The flux dish?
  2. Should be a fan to blow fumes out of face
  3. Working on a populated motherboard without a grounding strap… no, no, no.
  4. Most of those components would be surface mounted… using a giant sold. iron like that would be like using a sledgehammer to drive a picture nail.
  5. NOBODY solders one-handed.
4 Likes

Wodder? You from New Joisey?

6 Likes

When holding the iron by the hot end, I pronounce it “so daring”.

18 Likes

That’s a Filthydelphia accent, sir.

3 Likes

Doesn’t everybody pronounce it that way?

(OMG I must be a freak, I’m doing it wrong and everybody knows.)

3 Likes

You must be 'murkin. A silent L just sounds wrong to me. I make fun of people who don’t pronounce the L. Like I make fun of people who don’t use the metric system, think dates are best ordered mm/dd/yyyy and who say “could care less” when they really mean “couldn’t care less”.

9 Likes

Boing Boing linked to this page a few years back, too:

Note: “Chicken interrogation” seems crucial to the scientific method…

1 Like

I don’t know but I bet that’s going to be a really bad cold-solder joint.

4 Likes

Yep, sounds like me. I call the Underground the subway, too!

2 Likes

So… “Beautiful woman stripping”?

2 Likes

Guys, she’s engaged. Next…

1 Like

The one thing right in the picture: her hair is tied back. As a dude with long hair, leaving that free while soldering is not a good idea.

3 Likes

The big FETs, the TO252/TO263 packaging, may actually deserve it.

1 Like

Capacitors too. During that period a few years back when there were a lot of PC motherboard failures due to forged electrolytic caps from Taiwan, I managed to buy a couple years more life for one of my PCs by desoldering the big-ass caps off an old Abit motherboard and using those to replace the blown caps. It turned out the best tool I had for desoldering those was the big ol’ gun-type soldering iron normally used for stained glass or home electrical work.

(Of course the bad part about doing that was that it reinforced my habit of keeping old electronic junk around for far too long.)

1 Like

The gear in back makes it look like a “wet” biology lab; not the kind of place where you’d do electronic repair. And where are the burns, scars, and other damage to the tabletop?

4 Likes

I can’t remember the first time I held a soldering iron, it was definitely at least before I was 9, but to this day, whenever I bring out the soldering iron, the smell of melted rosin takes me back to my childhood when dad, a teacher, would do side work fixing TV’s and radios.

I loved watching him work, he would give me simple tasks to perform, testing transistors, capacitors and vacuum tubes. Good times.

10 Likes

I used to solder motherboards at IBM. My wife did, too – that’s how we met.

Some of us there used to joke, “it isn’t a full day of work until you burn yourself.”

But not like this. Not like this!

We had to wear them at IBM. I never really questioned it, having landed paint in my eye (granted, doing completely unrelated work) at a previous job.

5 Likes

Yes, how could I forget those!

If you can get thrown-out LCD screens, get some. In about 3 of 4 cases the fault is in the power supply capacitors. I gave more life to uncounted number of the monitors. (Todo: take one and integrate it with a raspberry pi, and power it from the monitor itself, maybe from the standby power branch. Voila, smart screen!)

That is a bad habit?!?

5 Likes