Experience: "I got stuck hanging naked from a tree"

[Read the post]

If I happened upon such a scene I’d be afraid to rescue her just because that’s exactly the kind of thing some forest-dwelling band of psycho killers would set out as bait.

16 Likes

Just more evidence why it helps to learn about ropes, knots and your own capabilities before going off into the woods and doing something really, really stupid.

At least one British conservative MP has managed to kill himself doing something like this, so Darwin award or not, please think several times before trying a stunt like this without any experience. And then don’t do it.

4 Likes

I’d struggle to decide what to do. On one hand there’s a person needing help, on the other hand the whole scene is really, really weird and screams “Don’t get involved”. There’s trouble a-foot and no matter what, more will be had.

And if you really feel like doing it, don’t go alone.

1 Like

And regardless of whether you do it alone, bring a knife to cut the damn rope. It’s a lot easier to get the rope off when you’re sitting on the ground.

4 Likes

Is the Avant-Gard part cutting the scene before we see how she gets free? I feel a sense of discomfort and unease not seeing her get free, so mission accomplished.

BTW it’s really hard or impossible to free a knot under tension (depending on the knot). She was on the right track when she got up on the tree branch. She should’ve gotten all the way up and lay on the branch like a panther. That way there would be no tension on the rope and she could’ve used both hands to free her foot.

Wearing a knife belt probably compromises the ‘naked’ aspect of the performance. Better to bring a friend who’s brought a knife.

1 Like

I understood that the world was nothing: a mechanical chaos of casual, brute enmity on which we stupidly impose our hopes and fears. I understood that, finally and absolutely, I alone exist. All the rest, I saw, is merely what pushes me, or what I push against, blindly–as blindly as all that is not myself pushes back. I create the whole universe, blink by blink.–An ugly god pitifully dying in a tree!

–John Gardner, Grendel

4 Likes

In the Guardian article she says this wasn’t intentional and the camera cut off, but recognized how uncomfortable it felt that way.

On the plus side…

2 Likes

Don’t forget your multi tool!

Struggling with the concept of how hanging naked from a tree constitutes “performance art”.

But hey…maybe I’m just old and cranky

2 Likes

I wanted her to do this too, but that requires a fair bit of technique and strength, even at the best of times, let alone when you’re tied up, getting exhausted, and there are other branches in the way.

The whole thing was exhausting to watch. I have an knot in my stomach.

1 Like

Or Ewoks.

Eeeeh. The more Tories that kill themselves in poorly thought-out stranglewank misadventures the better, say I.

1 Like

This is why I keep a dive knife on my calf whenever I hang upside down by ropes in the woods while naked. It’s a safety measure and it adds a touch of social commentary to my “art”.

6 Likes

I wondered the same thing while watching, as well as if calling Adam was scripted for some sort of Tree of Knowledge symbolism.

Look up Wotan (Odin). (The Wikipedia article on Odin is spectacularly confusing, presumably his PR people aren’t keeping an eye on it these days.)

Right, like I said. A forest-dwelling band of psycho killers.

7 Likes

She could have just left the knife on the groung, hidden among the grass but within arm reach. Or even on top of the branch.

2 Likes