Experiment to determine the best drain unclogger

The Cleaner, of course.

5 Likes

I found this worked way better than draino and without the effort and mess of a snake, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VSDEPTA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is a CO2 based toilet plunger but worked well on other drains as well, takes a few practice runs to get the hang of it.

3 Likes

Hadda search it out. Roebic offers a variety of drain cleaners. What was tested was a crap-digesting bacteria mix.

I take issue with some of the methods used. None should be used in dilution, e.g., Drano is thickened to a gel to inhibit dilution and to promote its accumulation at the clog, a desirable trait when the sink is so backed up that the dishware floats.

Except for the enzyme and bacterial cleaners, a small amount of hot water helps most of these products. Lye pellets washed down with a cup of hot water will take care of a multitude of clogs.

The “no effect on grease” judgment for lye was entirely a result of low concentration. What you want and expect is grease triglyceride hydrolysis into glycerin and fatty acids (cough!)… uh, it turns into a liquid soap.

Running boiling water down the drain, while generally good practice, has no effect on hair clogs. It’s for the kitchen, not the bathtub.

And, all of these products have a degree of risk, particularly to incautious and imprudent people, I mean, you can’t fix stupid.

2 Likes

I thought per the rules you are not supposed to talk about this?

3 Likes

Will it clear drains?

1 Like

Not so much, but I’m told it’s ideal to clear bongs.

1 Like

Yeah, but was it the first rule or the second? :thinking:

1 Like

lQQIMmN

7 Likes

I use something similar to this and it is the only thing that works on really bad clogs… always worry it is going to bust a pipe or something, but…

But watch out for the, uh, explosion at the end!

1 Like

And of course no chemicals in any amount will help if the problem is a sewer pipe break.

2 Likes

Deadly, in large enough doses.

1 Like

If the clog is less than a couple of feet down, those fish-skeleton looking sticks work great. Huge gobs of hairy goo. Very satisfying. $1 at, uh, the “Dollar Store”.

1 Like

Well, you gotta use protection.

1 Like

Shop vac that can suck up water. 30 second fix.

The TubShroom works really well in this house. Grabs all the hair and never blocks the drain.

3 Likes

I’m going to sound like the biggest pedant, but especially for kitchen sinks, a big pot placed under the p-trap while you remove it is my go-to. Also, don’t pour grease down the sink. And like above posters recommend, get a hair trap.
In my experience, clogs after proper usage of a kitchen sink drain is often caused by a stray utensil, paper towel, or piece of food blocking the p-trap.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.