Explaining marine invertebrate reproductive strategies to the lobster-obsessed Jordan Peterson

BTW, here’s a sample of Peterson’s “wisdom”:

And here’s a picture to go with it:

19 Likes

Signs?

I’m kidding! I’m kidding! That last thing you want to do is make the mistake I made and teach them to read at 3 1/2! Next thing you know they will want to show off their ankles and have the right to vote! /s

11 Likes

Silly wimmins! Everyone knows only men are rational to vote! /s

10 Likes

And what is this “traditional family” you speak of? Define it.

12 Likes

Hey, @8080256256? Remember how, rather a few posts ago, I said you need to examine the arbitrary preferences and ideas you’re conflating with objective truth?

These good folk are trying to do that for you, but my oh my are you resisting.

You have a lot of assumptions that need undoing, both about what other people believe, what the world is like, and how rational and accurate you are in parsing both of those. Shame you’re too prideful and invested in your role to see that, though.

11 Likes

Well, obvs, it’s men in charge of women and children, like God intended! Duh! /s

9 Likes

It’s strange how Peterson frames men as so volatile that they need to be placated with regular sex to keep from going berserk, yet he doesn’t extend that to the logical conclusion that men are too unstable to be trusted with political power, corporate leadership, etc.

Must be something to do with swamp witches.

15 Likes

Clearly, we just need to let men do whatever they want, because… reasons? /s

Basically, it’s just an excuse for misogyny. Also, SWAMP WITCH… (un)happy world goth day!

swamp-witch

13 Likes

Hierarchy, honey. It’s just natural, because men are just better. It has nothing to do with denying women education and autonomy for centuries.

/s

13 Likes

Team sports with specialized players complicate hierarchies, and some teams excel because of their skill at cooperation over individual ability.

16 Likes

You know, perhaps it would be worthwhile to break down exactly where the discrepancy between reality and @8080256256’s reasoning lies.

• Hierarchies are useful and exist throughout nature
  • Hierarchies are inevitable and are the only organisational principle enlightened folk recognise
  • Some hierarchies, in pursuit of a goal, reflect upon the members’ qualities in attaining that goal
  • Where hierarchies denote or reinforce social statuses, these statuses are a true reflection of abilities, qualities, and worth
  • Some hierarchies are self-reinforcing, have existed for a long time, and may self-perpetuate well beyond
    the bounds of social good
  • Some hierarchies are inescapable and have been proven to work, so we should just accept it
  • The structures and mores peculiar to a hierarchy can be stable and rigid
  • Changing the social order is unnatural, and the fact that I might benefit from the existing order, or be personally drawn to the idea of power, is not significant
  • We are in an age of increasingly transient and flat group organisations, wherein people can come together out of self-interest to achieve goals, agree to terms to accomplish them, and disengage with little compulsion.
  • Well, hierarchies still exist, therefore in some way I am right and just accept them already
15 Likes

Now go away, you irrational swamp witches and cuckolded eunuchs!

11 Likes

fixed

8 Likes

I’ve asked you before not to address me, at all. I’ll politely repeat that request now.

Please abide.

Thanks, and have a good day.

4 Likes

Speaking of goth, you need a MAGA shirt. I saw one at the Grendel concert, and there are more than one maker out there.

7 Likes

We got a whole thread, man!

Come share that there!

7 Likes

As a mathematician, let me just say: THANK YOU! This notion that everything can be measured one-dimensionally and that the ranking resulting from that measurement is meaningful is a horrible blight on our thinking. Heck, most of our concepts are so vague that i’d quail at trying to meaningfully measure them.

So we should definitely put a surgeon in charge of administration, even if they have no talent for that at all?
And that’s granting your premise. Do you not think that it would be possible to have a hospital wherein, if you had a patient with a heart problem you’d choose Dr. A, but if they had stomach issues, you’d go with Dr. B and outside of those areas they are indistinguishable? Is it meaningful to say one is a better surgeon than the other?

12 Likes

Also conveniently ignoring the tens of millions… that have died under the prevailing hierarchical structure but hey, that kinda stuff is par for the course.

16 Likes

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with hierarchies per se. But they shouldn’t be based on things like race and gender and should have fluidity. Certainly more regimented organizations have clear hierarchies and that makes sense, like government, military, and corporate structures. Though in my three examples I know for sure one can find examples where corporate structures are less hierarchical and still excel.

Families have a small hierarchy: typically, child, parent, elder (grandparent). Though those aren’t in stone because the parent or elder could be the person that shouldn’t be in charge/listened to at some point.

Social hierarchies can be a force of good or bad. Certainly something like the Caste system in India is an extreme example of bad. And various cultures and small groups may come up with systems that work for them. But the problem with pretty much any social construct is: 1) it isn’t universal, and 2) it isn’t permanent.

We are complex social animals and social norms and hierarchies change over time. To defend them as “eh, it sorta works, so just go with it” is pretty illogical. For example. the social norm that the man works and the wife stays home didn’t make sense for our family, and thus I was the primary care giver of the child, including early home schooling. When she grows up she may want to stay at home and have 3 kids. And that’s fine if that is what she wants, but she should also have the option to do something else and not make it some hierarchy shattering decision.

5 Likes

Yup, that’s basically part of my point.

5 Likes