Exploding Whale Memorial Park opens near site where that beached whale was blown up in 1970

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/02/exploding-whale-memorial-park.html

2 Likes
Well, okay then...

whale-carcass-explodes

12 Likes

Sounds like how our current government is handling the COVID-19 pandemic, to be honest. Everything old is new again.

As for opening a new park to possibly attract people, see my previous paragraph.

6 Likes

Relatedly…

10 Likes

Mmmmm mmmmm, good times in the ye ol years!

Rotting Blubber Sauna? Pass!

2 Likes

“as darkness began to set it…”

I think I watched this video 100 times in the the weird early days of the internet.

8 Likes

Paused the video to say:

“When he gets out, he feels great!”

If it were me, I would say that too out of fear of being shoved back into the whale.

Also, I love her videos. Thank you for sharing this one.

3 Likes

Why couldn’t they have lashed the whale to a boat offshore, dug a trench directly under it at low tide and pulled it out when the tide came in? Then push the sand and any nasty bits back into the hole. If YouTube has taught us anything, it’s that within 15 seconds of that “Holy shit… wow!” moment, you’d better find cover.

2 Likes

New band name!

4 Likes

Yeah, she’s fucking awesome, isn’t she! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

They should put up a tasteful memorial to Blasty. A pedastal topped with a section of ribs and some strands of blubber.

3 Likes

In defense of the good people of Florence, it was actually the Oregon Highway Division that arranged the blast. (Oregon beaches have been public highways since 1913.)

2 Likes

The plinth carved with screaming and running people.

2020 will be the fiftieth anniversary of this incredible event. Any news if they have any celebrations/reenactments planned?

I hitchhiked thru Florence a few days earlier and missed it. Later I got an RV stuck in the dunes. Be careful there.

I wonder if this news footage could be described as the first viral video. Long before Youtube (and even the Web), tapes of this were circulating and humorists like Dave Barry devoted columns to it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.