Better video of the legendary "controlled" explosion of a beached whale

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/02/better-video-of-the-legendary.html

2 Likes

You can see the chunks much better now,

23 Likes

Mr. Torgue: “I’ve got just one question to ask of you: ‘Explosions?’”

7 Likes

We are seriously in need of a Digitally Re-Mastered exploding whale re-release. Just don’t let George Lucas anywhere NEAR it, or next thing you know the whale will shoot first…

13 Likes

I wonder if the quality is worth twixtoring (interpolating frames to create slow-motion or simply smoother footage). I’ve tried twixtoring this other whale explosion video and it didn’t really work out.

10 Likes

Ahh, I remember trying to download this video 16 years ago off some obscure FTP site in overcompressed Quicktime Tiny-Screen-O-Vision. The effect was definitely somewhat diminished.

7 Likes

Hot damn, I really need an LOL button! Actually, an unexpected bark of laughter button would be better.

2 Likes

This is the most important internet news in 20 years.

5 Likes

The plot twist of the caved in car roof, I believe, was the high point of this piece.

4 Likes

The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds

Now that’s journalism that you don’t get anymore!

12 Likes

Newsfilm in the '70s was 16mm. Not 8mm. I shot with it for years at WNDU in South Bend, IN.

2 Likes

No one ever remembers the next week’s story about an exploding bowl of petunias.

6 Likes

9 Likes

9 Likes

Funeral Homes should start offering this option.

18 Likes

Every time I see that, it’s just… amazing.
The power.
The sound.
The knowledge that smell-o-vision does not yet exist.

14 Likes

Oh I would so write that into my will if that was a valid option.

4 Likes

This is the greatest news story of all time and surely planted the seeds for Oh The Huge Manatee.

4 Likes

Very disappointed that the woman talking in the background’s “ow!” when she gets chunked at the very end wasn’t really enhanced much.

1 Like

Needs more Wilhelm.

6 Likes