This week is the 50th anniversary of Oregon's exploding whale!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/10/this-week-is-the-50th-anniversary-of-oregons-exploding-whale.html

4 Likes

Does that mean it’s time to do it again?

5 Likes

(Check my watch) It’s half-past 2020 so… yes!

2 Likes

You don’t need explosives, you just wait until it’s ripe.

whale-carcass-explodes

8 Likes
3 Likes

7 Likes
  1. Dynamite
  2. The thinking was…
3 Likes

Florence Oregon has a exploding whale memorial park

14 Likes

Thank you for marking this important anniversary. I was able to share this video with some of my colleagues on a work call just now and shockingly some of them had never heard of this momentous event. As a web design firm, we discussed some of the flaws in their approach to problem solving and how a good discovery process using the latest in design thinking could have uncovered some of the missing chunks and holes in their whale removal strategy.

We all agreed that learning from the exploding whale anniversary was a better team building exercise than trust falls.

3 Likes

Oh, this is cool. I worked with the guy that originally digitized this and got it on the internet, back in 2000 (this is way before youtube). He saw the original footage when it broadcast, and years later realized it just had to be preserved and managed to track down a relatively-well-preserved recording. :smiley:

7 Likes

Finally, some good news.

1 Like

Time, once again, to join the overwhelming mass of readers notifying Dave Barry of this news story.

Now you know how to remove a reeking carcass from the Whitehouse.
Let her rip and call in Mr Wolf to clean up afterwards.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.