Explosive and drone-melting video looking straight down into an erupting volcano

Originally published at: Explosive and drone-melting video looking straight down into an erupting volcano | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I happened to be listening to The Greatest by Cat Power. 10/10 would recommend as a Monday morning incidental music video.

9 Likes

That’s cool but I wonder what they did about the audio track. Drones aren’t known for being able to capture good audio, what with the buzzing propellers and all. I wonder if that was just a recording of some thick soup or porridge boiling?

11 Likes

Hooooo-eeeeee! That’s awesome! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@orenwolf the link to comment on Seamus’s post leads back to the top of the main page, so I’m commenting here.

3 Likes

That was my stomach Saturday night after 3 bowls of chili & tater tots.

13 Likes

Doin’ it for the gram.

2 Likes

It does say ‘original audio’ in the banner, so I guess they were able to isolate it. I appreciate the question because I really dislike obviously dubbed sounds in nature documentaries.

3 Likes

Ol’ Cat Power is going to be today’s deep dive. Thanks!

Your favourite mixed tape
You popped it into the deck
Don’t care if it’s out of date
Ol’ cat power and classic Beck

3 Likes

Not sure what the diagram of a composite volcano is for; Geldingadalir is a fissure eruption consisting of two active spatter cones.

2 Likes

5 Likes

That was totally worth losing a drone for! Awesome (hot) sauce!

2 Likes

I always thought it was weird that Gollum was dense enough to quickly sink into liquid rock, but the solid gold ring was light enough that it floated on top. But I suppose it’s a magic volcano so whatever.

4 Likes

that was alright, but I crave some parallax! move laterally at least a little bit!

And to bring it full circle the video is available as an NFT. In case you want to spend $1000 on being able to say you own a copy of this video that’s like the other copies, only expensive.

1 Like

@Groundman
The whole thing could be digitally constructed… but I hope not!

Listened over and over again on decent studio monitors after reading your comment. The low rumble and the boiling/steaming release sounds are amazing up loud. I think I can hear a a continuous mid high note that could be the drone and assuming this is a super loud environment then the compression and limiting in the audio may be pushing the drone sound into the background. Having said that, I’m not hearing any digital clipping and the audio is suspiciously super crisp?!

Magic volcano? Umm, hello, magic ring yo. Occam’s Razor.

That was amazing. I did however find myself hoping for some kind of monty-python-cave-wall-castle-of-aauuugghh moment instead of it just blinking out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.