Extreme close-ups of bug eyes transform them into psychedelic wonderlands

[Permalink]

I’m curious what exactly is going on optically to produce those dark spots at the centers of many of the water droplets.

Anyone with a better grasp of how light operates at such small scales that can… coughilluminate me?

Might just be the camera lens…
This closeup (I assume of @catgrin) shows the same black dot, but without water drops:

1 Like

I think @crenquis is right about it being the lens. All I know for sure is that I love how it makes them look like cartoonish googly eyes.

1 Like

No. There is no way those things are real things. Somebody very insane got to playing with Photoshop. Please tell me I’m right.

1 Like

These are pretty, though I feel sad knowing how many people do these. The heavy photoshopping doesn’t bother me, but the chances are the photographer killed and froze the bugs to be able to pose them in the cutely posed shots. It’s a strangely common thing for macro photographers in Indonesia for some reason.

A lot of the water droplets look incredibly fake to me, as well as the ripples in the water. Pretty sure there’s some 'shopping going on. (I can tell by the pixels.)

I think the most likely explanation is a ring flash. Flashes are almost required for macrophotography to illuminate the subject, since the lens aperture is stopped down as far as possible to get more depth-of-field. One common macro flash is a ring flash which produces a uniform ring of light right around the lens to minimize lens shadow. I’m pretty sure what you’re seeing is the reflection of the ring flash with the lens itself being the dark spot in the center.

2 Likes

Extreme close-ups of bug eyes transform them into psychedelic wonderlands nightmares.

FTFY

I am having waking nightmares.

The ripples in the water are much too small and close together, in comparison to the size of the fly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.