Eyewitnesses say Pittsburgh-Post Gazette publisher John Robinson Block fired journalists while screaming drunk

Those weren’t his employees— it was a different organization. The Pittsburgh guild press.
So I suppose you could add trespassing.
You have a sobbing screaming child. You have a room full of people too afraid to speak. You have a drunken man literally screaming abuse and threatening people for 50 minutes.
If you heard this next to your house, you’d call the cops.
Calling 911 in this case would not be a whim; it would be protecting the child and everyone else in the building.

edit: yes-- totes got confused between the guild being the representative (speaker) and the offices the incident took place in (location).

1 Like

Is getting slaughtered while out and looking after your kids a thing?

I’m teetotal, so it’s not something I know anything about.

(Unlike smugness.)

1 Like

Um, I think you’re mixing things up. The guild is the union representing the employees, and is stuck in a long contract negotiation with the paper. The incident occurred in the Post-Gazette’s North Shore newsroom. The guild is making the affidavits public because the owner is lying about what went on.

3 Likes

No, it was the Post-Gazette office. The Newspaper Guild of Pittsburgh is the union for Post-Gazette journalists, so it has a noticeboard inside the newsroom.

After much careful consideration, the Newspaper Guild of Pittsburgh has decided to release some of the eyewitness accounts of the incident involving Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Publisher John Robinson Block and his daughter that transpired on the night of Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019 in the paper’s North Shore newsroom.

(source, emphasis added)

3 Likes

People don’t know how to handle this kind of abuse. They want the victim to calm down and be compliant because they want the aggressor to calm down and so they won’t intervene because trying to tend to the victim would further enrage the aggressor. It sucks for the kid because you end up traumatized also by the fact that people will just stand there and watch this… further normalizing it.

9 Likes

You know I’ll be honest, even when I drank more it bothered me when people I knew would bring their kids to parties and get trashed. I ended up watching movies with little kids so often until I just stopped hanging around people who did that… like ever. But it creeped me out because I’d always think… what if it wasn’t me alone with this asshole’s kids and so I’d hover around them out of anxiety. I get it, kids put a damper on your wild times, but FFS you decided to have kids – get a goddamned babysitter.

7 Likes

You are kidding, right? I am pretty sure a cell phone video will turn up fairly soon, once the videographer has figured out how to protect themselves from retribution.

2 Likes

My mistake.
Also, it was the managing editor and the HR exec who showed up (fat lot of good HR would do)
Hard to believe that his conduct sober was so exemplary that people wouldn’t want him to get in trouble for doing what he did drunk. I’m not getting a “this is such uncharacteristic behavior from him! He must have a SERIOUS substance abuse problem!” kind of vibe

3 Likes

Already has. It was taken late in the incident, both audio and video quality are bad.
also: “Fuoco said it could be months before the NLRB provides a definitive response to the complaint. He said that multiple employees felt in retrospect, that they should have called police in response to Block’s behavior Saturday night. He said multiple employees were dealing with anxiety in the aftermath of Block’s visit to the newsroom and were granted permission to work from home.”

also: to this point I have not run into the “no more than two consecutive replies allowed” and took me a while to figure out it referred to ANY comment, versus just replying to a comment (since any comment on the article counts as a “reply”)

4 Likes

Thanks boss. Alcoholism is not funny, but isolated drunkenness can be since it’s a form of self-inflicted stupidity.

2 Likes

Always remember, you’re not one of “them”.

It must be super to work from someone that calls you “the working class” even when he’s not drunk.

No worries. Nothing is less credible than statements by a room full of journalists, right? They always make stuff up. His buddy the President says so. MAGA! /s

6 Likes

I recommend folks don’t mix MAGA with alcohol. It makes things much worse for everyone in the room.

2 Likes

I counter that it’s fine to do so, as long as the proof is a high percentage and a match is applied soon after.

3 Likes

I just don’t understand people who get off on making others feel uncomfortable. Why spend 50 minutes being unwanted. Sheesh.

1 Like

So, if I’m understanding this correctly…
                Useless A­sshole                           Useful Idiot

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.