Eyewitnesses say Pittsburgh-Post Gazette publisher John Robinson Block fired journalists while screaming drunk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/eyewitnesses-say-pittsburgh-po.html

4 Likes

It’s been a busy day in the world of entitled SWM douchebaggery. Mr. Block will simply have to get in queue. We’ll get to him as soon as possible.

19 Likes

Other than possibly a police station, I can’t imagine a worse place to have a drunken fit if you want to keep it quiet…

20 Likes

OK, I’ve hAD ENOUGH Of this anti-alcohol BIAS here at the boingboing website. I myself Am DRINking righte now and. . . . okk I LoST my train of mthOTUHGT ,

anyWAY you kbnow hwo you are, you Im speaking to. stiop doibng it. that shit. ok?

30 Likes

anD AnotTHE rthing. . . .

25 Likes

Oh but that was simply a different time, those days of drunken newspaper owners yelling and publicly abusing staff, you can’t judge them by today’s standards, since we’re a lot different now than the long-ago world of …[reads article]… four days ago.

16 Likes

A shame that no one could sneak a video.

10 Likes

Group hug for those of us who have even partially lived through patriarchal shit-shows.

19 Likes

You get style points for responding to yourself to make the joke work

12 Likes

As far as being exposed to angry drunks, one advantage – if that exposure occurs early in a relationship – is the timely identification of a person that one might wish to avoid like the plague. In vino veritas.

8 Likes

This asshole is locally known as a stupendous asshole to anyone who reads the newspaper and clearly sees a trumpanzee taking over. His handling of the paper lately and open support for Trump against the non-biased wishes of his staff has made him into a local caricature in my town.

This is pretty much what my imagination expected from this garbage person. Color me shocked, oh so shocked.

7 Likes

I am afraid to search or ask how old the daughter is. Subjecting an adult to this is unacceptable; subjecting a minor to this is abuse.

10 Likes

What a Block head.

Sorry, but I had to…

4 Likes

Pre-adolescent.
In reading the descriptions, I am aghast that no one thought to call 911-- physically and emotionally abusing minor, threatening behavior, public drunkenness-- ultimate white male privilege. I can just hear their thoughts “we can’t call for the police, then he’d get in trouble-- maybe even arrested!” which is exactly what should have happened.
Also, thank you union reps for showing up 50 minutes later…

5 Likes

Talk about giving journalists something to write about!

When did he take over? The Post-Gazette was the paper we got when I was high-school age. (90’s) It seemed pretty reasonable then; of course I was comparing it to the Tribune-Review, so who knows?

That’s all i could think of. He was assaulting his daughter. If he’d done that to anyone else, things would have been different!
Wtf

4 Likes

Just recently, within the last year or so if I remember correctly.

I honestly know nothing about him other than how he has acted using his newspaper as an outlet for his personal views. That should tell you everything you need to know about his journalistic integrity and in this case lack of thereof in regards to what he publishes directly in rebuke to his staff

3 Likes

See also Proverbs 20:1, “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.”

1 Like

I think the main reason why no one called the cops is because they don’t treat the cops like the help desk. It’s not a twitch reaction, and the situation seemed so absurd that they were hoping to handle it themselves. Calling emergency services is a last resort thing, when you feel that the situation is not something that you can handle but the cops/medics/fire brigade can.

After reading the accounts, it seems like everyone was just too stunned to think of calling the police until later, and then by the time they did think of it they weren’t sure.

I personally hope the staff gets the chance to leave en masse and start their own news site, and leave the paper version to die.

2 Likes