FAA okays use of semi-autonomous drones for Disneyland and Disney World fireworks displays

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/08/faa-okays-use-of-semi-autonomo.html

1 Like

squee!

Man, I am loving what Disney is doing with Disney Springs. I wonder if anyone else is trying to innovate in the “fireworks” space with alternatives to explosives like this… I’d hate to see this tech exclusively at Disney Parks - I hope they license it out to others.

1 Like

Can residents fly firework suppression drones to limit their exposure to mercury fallout?

2 Likes

It’s nice to see that the government still kowtows to Disney.

4 Likes

I saw this maybe 5 years ago at Ars Electronica in Austria. http://www.spaxels.at/ Not sure how they can patent this approach after it was demonstrated publicly so many years ago. Must be some part of the process but not the result.

2 Likes

Drone battery life is still pretty limited, i wonder what size drones they are looking to use. But if battery powered and is an average size you’re looking at 20-30 minutes. Shouldn’t be a problem if they have multiple swarms on stand by. but it boggles my mind thinking of the sheer amount of drones Disney may end up using.

1 Like

Fully-autonomous drones are more interesting, because they would need to ask permission on behalf of themselves - if they were even subject to your laws.

1 Like

This is only Phase I. Phase II is Hellfire missiles.

4 Likes

Phase III is cross branding weaponized systems with Disney properties. Now the US can own a legitimate Star Wars defense system, or Stark Industries missiles and drones.

6 Likes

I don’t believe there was any patenting going on here…just waivering…

I thought Phase II was Fantasmic!*.

*now featuring Hellfire missiles

Oh boy!

4 Likes

On the bright side, they’ll use a lot less black powder every night, just lifting the Pyro to where it’ll explode. That can add up pretty quick.

3 Likes

Phase IV? THERE IS NO PHASE IV!!!

3 Likes

M. I. C.
SEE YOU FROM 10,000 FEET.
K.E.Y.
WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HIDE?
M.O.U.S.E.

Mobile Operationally Unmanned Sentient Eliminator

5 Likes

Sure there is!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.