Is Mickey sending DeSantis a message?

Originally published at: Is Mickey sending DeSantis a message? | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It’s testament to the hyper reality of Disney that the onlookers kept telling each other that wasn’t supposed to happen, and security kept making out like it never happened.

8 Likes

Man, that acid reflux got out of control fast.

Just goes to show that even after millions of years of evolution, there are no perfect designs.

Human shoulders and knees, canine hips, and dragon fire gizzards.

7 Likes

Obligatory…

10 Likes
6 Likes

Post the rise of Covid, seeing people packed in shoulder to shoulder is not something I am quite used to.

It gives me a little buzz of anxiety.

12 Likes

Wow, the only time we worked with fire in a theatrical setting, we had to follow many, many regulations and even laws that made it clear that all props and sets had to be non-flammable and fire resistant. Checking their own rules, Disney even has similar rules in place, for example:

All decorative materials shall be flameproof or flame retardant in accordance with State Fire Marshal requirements
including backdrops, signs, and banners.
https://sites.disney.com/app/uploads/sites/53/2020/02/Fire-Safety-Regulations-for-Productions-Events-rev-12.16.pdf

Obviously from this video these rules only applies to outsiders, though I bet the next mechanical dragon Mickey beats will be a bit more fire resistant.

5 Likes

Obviously something suffered a catastrophic failure, but it’s impossible to build a flame-spitting dragon without involving any kind of flammable substances. It looked to me like the combustible fuel was the source of the flames rather than the body of the dragon itself.

It’s not like the thing was paper mache—if you pour enough flaming gasoline or diesel fuel on just about anything it’s going to turn into a pillar of fire.

11 Likes
11 Likes

When dealing with the House of Mouse, I have found that a good rule of thumb (and best way to stay safe) is to assume that literally everything they do is a threat.

I mean, I have no way of proving that they burned down their own attraction in order to send DeSantis a message, but I also have no way of disproving it, you know what I mean? If I were a multibillion-dollar corporation trying to send a message to those in power about what true power actually is, I wouldn’t not do this…

Probably best to err on the side of caution, at any rate…

6 Likes

DeSantis will burn down political career by his self. (although that is what I said about Trump…)

6 Likes

Yep!

11 Likes

“… are they still doing Pirates?”

never change, America.

4 Likes

That flaming dragon head looks like a Disney promo for Hellboy.

5 Likes

Not even the only Disney parade float to have flames shooting out of a character’s head, although usually it’s intentional.

5 Likes

Stay tuned for the next Disney extravaganza, Mickey: Pyromancer of Doom

2 Likes

Another related development:

2 Likes

I think its time for Disney to be funding “Run Away Ron” ads.

2 Likes

Or maybe new lyrics and a music video for Da Don’t Run Ron

3 Likes

There is also (Ron) Runaway

3 Likes