Fabulous photo of newlyweds with Black Power gang

no - it does - but the cops have been demonising “gangs” (originally largely white motorcycle gangs) since the 60s - it doesn’t mean that they are angels, I think there’s reasonable evidence that some gangs are involved in the production and delivery of meth - then groups like black power who have all the trappings of “gangs” - gang-patches etc doing some good in their communities - some doing school lunches in low decile schools, organising legitimate employment for their members (locally getting contracts to do work for the city) etc

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there’s probably too much heat and not enough light here in this area here in NZ “gang” doesn’t mean all bad - as these guys out honouring their dead show

1 Like

In UK Customs & Excise parlance, the “black gang” is the crew that searches a ship or aircraft for contraband.

Another “gang”. Different uniform:

Yes, very much so.

It isn’t so extraordinary. Organised gang members are capable of being both awesome human beings and scum of the earth on different days, just like everyone else. The culture of a gang determines which comes easier, though.

Not exactly. Unfortunately, a black (African) colleague and her children; my Asian wife; and our mixed race kids have all experienced overt verbal racial abuse and threats here. The culprits were all Māori …

Not saying there are no racist white people here, there are plenty. But most of them are subtle enough or unthinking about it that it’s easier to ignore it. Nor am I saying that all Māori are racist, they aren’t. Just that it’s complicated.

2 Likes

Well that gang is definitely criminal. Incompetent, sure, but not the least bit law-abiding.

except for Bird Law

2 Likes

Ah well, there you go. I was trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that not everyone running around in patched leather jackets are in an actual gang.

But hey - some times they are.

Though it shouldn’t shock anyone they didn’t kill the wedding party and rape the bride. Even criminal gangs are civil most of the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.