Facebook approved ads calling for murder of Brazilian president's children

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/01/20/facebook-approved-ads-calling-for-murder-of-brazilian-presidents-children.html

6 Likes

That’s a pretty sick burn on Facebook, showing that they’re shitty by social media standards.. As much as I despise advertising and ad-supported platforms, it does seem to corrupt some platforms more than others.

Youtube in particular seems so much less toxic, and I wonder if it’s a side effect of their fanatical copyright policing. Like, “while we’re hunting down people for singing Happy Birthday we might as well police basic decency at the same time”.

13 Likes

Based on the blurb, it sounds like the ads were calling for the death of the children of people who voted for Lula, not for Lula’s children. Not like that is much better, but there it is.

2 Likes

Well there you go. How can a mega corporation like Facebook possibly be expected to have experts policing obscure languages like Portuguese, which is only the 6th most popular language and is spoken by a mere 250 million people worldwide?

3 Likes

Who knows exactly how anyone voted, but I think there’s a very good chance Lula himself is on that list anyway. So it’s actually the same plus millions worse.

1 Like

Seriously, I don’t get it: Why is anybody still on Facebook or Twitter, or, for that matter, any toxic platform?

Because they facilitate a lot of connections and it can be really hard to move and keep those. Artists and minority communities standing out for that. I’m not going to say people should be on them, far from it, but I think we can be understanding of people who feel stuck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.