Facebook bans holocaust denial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/12/facebook-bans-holocaust-denial.html

6 Likes

It should be a source of eternal shame to Zuckerberg (and a testament to his assumption that money would shield him from the worst effects of anti-Semitism) that his thinking took so long to “evolve” on this matter.

31 Likes

About fucking time.

Also, why wasn’t this banned from day one?

30 Likes

No, it’s not. But if you struggle to decide which side of those lines fucking holocaust denial is on, there is something deeply wrong with you.

33 Likes

Because FREEZE PEACH!!! /s

19 Likes

Zuck’s core philosophy: all MAUs (including virulently bigoted ones) matter, because $$$.

17 Likes

It should have been truly shocking that a company in this day and age would refuse to condemn holocaust denial.

The most disappointing thing is that he’s only doing this because he thinks Biden is going to win.

18 Likes

They can “ban” anything they want. If the Facebook moderation team doesn’t enforce it, it doesn’t matter.

17 Likes

True, especially since the moderation team is poorly trained and poorly paid.

14 Likes

The post is sober and informative, the facebook policy is fine by me, but the whole “Freeze Peach” mockery of free speech -whether is be from left or right - worries me.

1 Like

Don’t forget that many are suffering from PTSD as well…

Facebook’s real problem is that there are a LOT of shitty people out there and, with VPNs being so easy to use, banning someone is never permanent if the person refuses to stay banned.

9 Likes

I’m stealing this header from FARK but it’s pretty spot on

Zuckerbot bans Holocaust denial and distortion posts. In other news, Facebook was allowing Holocaust denial and distortion posts UNTIL THIS MORNING

20 Likes

Too little, too late.
-After being used as a tool for furthering genocide in Southeast Asia
-After massive personal data breaches
-After being the most accessible source for Right Wing Extremists

14 Likes

blame Gutenberg

Blame laziness and lack of accountability on the part of Facebook management

15 Likes

Agreed. If it looked like Trump was going to win and he was doing this, then yes, I’d say he’s finally evolved a conscience. This simply looks like he’s pandering to whomever is in power (and he probably is).

8 Likes

Three weeks before the election!

12 Likes

Darkest Timeline: When condeming Holocaust denial is considered pandering.

9 Likes

I didn’t realise he was on the Facebook Board…

4 Likes

Gutenberg and Al Gore invented the internet??

3 Likes