Facebook deathwatch: a decade ago, it was impossible to imagine the fall of Myspace

I’d probably do it if I could still dialup.

1 Like

Electrical Banana, bound to be the very next phase

3 Likes

I got invite from moose and squerel…

8 Likes

$200+/month? Ho. Lee. Fook.

Of course, at that time I was a college student (or a recently flunked-out college student), so it was local BBSes and FidoNet for me.

3 Likes

That probably less than an hour a day… it was expensive, and there were network surcharges as well. I did the BBS thing as well; I worked for a data comm firm that offered X.25 network . We had X.28 PADS with dial in that could be configured to dial out in some cases…had a co worker who logged in to BBS all over North America that way.

Just use VOIP.

YOU! This is all your fault. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, it was legit geeky shit like awesome Robotech toys, and other anime stuff, OK? rec.arts.anime FTW suckas!

1 Like

Yeah, the community of the world’s foremost Hot Grits aficionados just ain’t what it used to be.

1 Like

The developing world though! Facebook is growing a lot in the developing world and there is a huge expanding market as people who weren’t connected to the internet get phones.

It’s a balancing act. Leave it completely open and face infiltration by hordes of trolls. But have a reach of billions. Or wall it off, police the borders and reach far fewer. But there are overriding factors. For YouTube, even though they are overwhelmed with hordes of trolls, they are still delivering video content that means something to people. So, good people go there anyway. For Twitter, as loathsome as it can be, they are still broadcasting notes and links to vids and content, and are worldwide, so people go there. What’re FBs overriding factors? Connections to friends and family. Keeping in touch. So, I expect FB to transform, but Zuck is smart, so they will never stray too far from their roots. Friends and family.

Unfortunately, no other platform has been able to meet the Internet’s demand for homophobic rants and pictures of coworkers’ grandkids.

6 Likes

And about those changes…

3 Likes

Ruh-roh.

6 Likes

What role do people’s addictions to Facebook play in charting it’s diminishment/demise? There would be many sad people if it went away tomorrow- people used to constantly updating, checking etc. Social media addiction is real, and of course much worse than in the MySpace days. I think it has a lot to go with Facebook still being around despite how shitty it is (or so I am told, as I do not Facebook).

it used to have an interface much more like reddit, then the sites owners changed to a news aggregator and everyone migrated to reddit.

1 Like

As slashdot is typically two or three days behind in posting topical stories, there’s literally no other reason (besides the comments) to read slashdot. Not saying the comments are worthwhile, but slashdot has never been about TFAs.

1 Like

The original social network (Gamefaqs.com message boards) will rise again!

1 Like

Left FarceBook on Easter Fools Day. Having withdraws.

3 Likes

2 Likes