Facebook discloses ongoing political disinfo campaigns (It's probably Russia again)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/31/facebook-to-disclose-ongoing-p.html

2 Likes

The company has been working with FBI to investigate who’s behind the campaigns.

It’s a real head-scratcher, that’s for sure.

12 Likes

That image of Zuckerberg is very disconcerting to look at…Or maybe its that Zuckerberg is very disconcerting to look at…or maybe…

7 Likes

Yes, the search was exhausting and cost millions of dollars to find Russia on a map.

10 Likes

This is what happens when a child who still gets his hair cut by his mommy runs a multi billion dollar company…

4 Likes

Imma run that through the corporate translator.

“Hey, check out this new ad, do we still have that off-duty cop door guard? We should let him know, just CYA. Oh, and we’re supposed to notify the public, you’re a member of the public, consider yourself notified.”

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s so hard to follow the money. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

So, pretty much at all times. Noted.

10 Likes

Surely not on Opposite Day! Which I just found out is January 25. So far away.

Psssst.

9 Likes

Even then…

6 Likes

Retaliatory Measures

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham: “I will be introducing Thursday a sanctions bill against Russia that has everything but the kitchen sink my good comrade trump in it,” he declared.

3 Likes

That the US has - and still is - meddled in the politics of other countries and continents is a fact. However, it is not the subject of this thread, nor does it justify the current situation in which over 350 million US residents are trapped. If you want to discuss US government fuckery, please open a new thread by… clicking on the time stamp, and then clicking New Thread.

6 Likes

They are still doing it. Yes, I use Facebook to see what my family is doing, so I deserve it, but I get more “recommended for you” things about “Financial experts agree the Euro will collapse in months”, “The European Union cannot last more than ten years, say Euro pundits”. No algorithm is selecting this for me, as I am a European. Someone is still doing Brexit’s dirty work. More than ever.

Meanwhile the UK has Facebook posters saying “Fake News is not Our Friend”. Too right, pal, Fake News is your employer, and a valued client. I and my friends are your raw product.

7 Likes

You know what does justify it? The election.

Things can always get worse.

2 Likes

Just a couple of things.

Facebook discloses profits from ongoing political disinfo campaigns (It’s probably Russia again)

Also

"Facebook is said to be revealing today that it has identified profited from “coordinated political influence campaigns using fake accounts to influence the midterm elections on issues like “Unite the Right” and #AbolishICE,” reports the New York Times.

2 Likes

… tu quoque?

2 Likes

So, does this mean their shares will tank another $100B today? Please?

1 Like

Just zazzled me up one of these!