Facebook exposed 126 million to pro-Trump Russian propaganda from servers inside Russia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/30/facebook-knew.html

6 Likes

Fake news /s
Is there anything else one could expect from Facebook though? I hope they got paid well for it.

2 Likes

Facebook: 126 million Americans may have seen Russian pro-Trump propaganda

The Zuck couldn’t be prouder, and the extra coin ain’t too shabby either.

11 Likes

Hey, these ads were legitimately interested in promoting the interests of Western liberal democracy, as much as the inevitable comments in this thread downplaying their role in the election will be; sadly, some of those comments will not be coming from bots or spam farms in Russia.

4 Likes

That Total Recall animation adaptation is just too good…thanks to whomever created that gem! :slight_smile:

19 Likes

But there’s NOOOO WAAAAY it swayed the outcome of the election. Despite the fact that it was won by like 80,000 votes.

Riiiiiiight…

9 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Ideally we shouldn’t have a country where 30-50% of people thought Trump was a good choice.

14 Likes

The real story here isn’t that FB ran questionable ads for money - that’s their business model - but that a hostile foreign power wanted and supported Trump.

6 Likes

see, this is why everyone should have ad block.

13 Likes

Yep, that would be nice alright.

7 Likes

imagehttps://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/53134784/why-not-both.jpg

4 Likes

So here is the question - how to avoid this next time? How does one discern foreign propaganda from domestic? Is bullshit ok as long as it is domestic? If so, how do we tell if it is domestic?

What about domestic propaganda? Lets be honest, while Russia stoked the flames they didn’t start the fire. Even the official stuff is still propaganda. Include the third party stuff and you still get lots of BS. Like today I had to refute a meme posted by an MD that if churches paid taxes the rest of us would only need to pay 3% in taxes (LOL, no, not even close).

7 Likes

They could show us this “propaganda” so we know what it looks like. Have you seen any of it?

1 Like

I don’t even have a Facebook account. Is that why I voted for Clinton?

6 Likes

Here’s a bit of editing

Ideally we shouldn’t have Trump.

There by god, how’s that? Much better with just a few words gone, I think. No need to thank me, It was truly my pleasure

You’re the kind of editor that I usually end up firing.

But seriously, who wants their opinions edited? If you have something to say you can say it without injecting your thoughts into the middle of mine.

1 Like

We don’t know how many thought he was a GOOD choice vs better than Hillary. Or Better than any Democrat. The tribalism is deep.

We won’t have a chance for real change if we don’t abandon first past the post voting.

3 Likes

Burning your ballot is a valid option too.