This 2015 Facebook/Instagram post was 'earliest evidence' of Russia's attack, says Mueller report

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/19/this-2015-facebook-instagram-p.html

“Good evening buds!” the post read.

3 Likes

Um. He think it started in 2015? The term “What a noob!” comes to mind.

1 Like

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. Those evil Ruskies, taking advantage of naive and guileless American corporations!

Poor little sheep.

2 Likes

Well, more like “taking advantage of naive and guileless American citizens by exploiting their corporate-owned social media.”

Facebook didn’t get played. Facebook got PAID.

15 Likes

I believe the report concluded that the coordinated effort to manipulate the 2016 election started with planning and research that began in 2014 and that this facebook post appears to be one of the first steps in implementing that plan.

5 Likes

“Good evening buds!” the post read, according to the Mueller report. “Well I am planning to organize a confederate rally in … Houston on the 14 of November and I want more people to attend.”

It’s frightening how perfectly they nailed the voice of the American redneck. They are good at their jobs. I hope we have some spooks to counterbalance them.

1 Like

“You like gun freedoms, yes? Join patriotic fellows for the making great of America! Number one quality rally!”

9 Likes

Really? I wasn’t being snarky, that first post sounds like an authentic white supremacist. You think it sounds like Borat? I guess that’s the problem with text.

2 Likes

Nah, I was just trying a thought experiment. Of course the people who were fooled will be loathe to admit getting conned by the Russians either way.

6 Likes

I think everyone that attended a Russia organized event should be notified to let them know they helped a Russian intelligence campaign.
It would not sit well with most of them

4 Likes

Russia had been doing online efforts in support of the far right in Europe and elsewhere years before that, especially towards fear of refugees and Islamophobia.

The 2016 election was a sub-bullet point in all of that.

5 Likes

Nah, they all like Russia now.

3 Likes

Sure but I don’t think we were meant to interpret that part of the report to mean “this was the first time Russia ever interfered in another country’s elections.”

1 Like

5 Likes

Maybe they should move there, since they seem to love Russia and Putin more than they actually love America.

Haven’t they been saying crap like “America, love it or leave it” for years? Well, if the shoe fits…

4 Likes

I remember thinking the same thing when the first ads were found out.

They really have our number.

2 Likes

If-Russia-Should-Win

Always worth briefly remembering that we’ve been stirring sh#t up in other countries since when dropping leaflets was the latest in social media. And guys like Allende would have noted that our version of ‘meddling’ is often more of the ‘sticks and stones’ version. But someone dares troll us back and we need a national dose of smelling salts. Also worth remembering the last time we slid down this slippery slope.

6 Likes

“But US did bad things too!” is basically the original definition of whataboutism.

2 Likes

Pretending that a Russian troll farm is a shocking attack on our pure democratic process is basically a textbook example of hypocrisy.

And selective amnesia about our earlier history with redbaiting and mccarthyism is basically a textbook proof of Santayana.

But @Dharmabum is not wrong. We’ve caused much chaos in our time as an empire.

2 Likes