Facebook hate group investigation reveals 400 police officers, including NYPD cops, to be members

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/14/facebook-hate-group-probe-turn.html

5 Likes

What? Murderous racists and homophobes infiltrating unaccountable armed organizations with poor screening, training and an abundance of federal and state funding?

Say it ain’t so.

36 Likes

Erremmm, sorrynotsorry
giphy

23 Likes

29 Likes

50 internal investigations, after speaking with police union reps will find absolutely no evidence of wrongdoing (or else their families will be found chopped up and buried in self dug graves out in the desert.)

18 Likes

I’m crying & laughing at the same time, again.

8 Likes

Just a few bad apples giving the other 5% a bad name.

27 Likes

I’m crying and laughing right now.

5 Likes

Remember kids, your freedom of association only protects you from legal actions against you and your group by the state. It does not protect you from being fired.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/termination-white-supremacists.aspx

11 Likes

How much does the Police Department calvados cost?

5 Likes

I call BS. 400? That number is higher by a few orders of magnitude. I met that many racists personally in the military.

26 Likes

This is honestly shocking to me.

Only 400?

19 Likes

"some departments have taken action, with at least one officer being fired for violating department policies. "

Well I feel so much better now, problem solved

10 Likes

“Few bad apples,” “unfortunate,” “regrettably,” “thoughts and prayers.”

19 Likes

surprise-surprise-surprise

13 Likes

They don’t call it the Blue Klux Klan for nothing.

17 Likes

These are just those people who belonged to both Facebook groups for cops and specific extremist groups (that overlap was 14,000 names), that they were able to manually verify were actually cops, who were using their real names. It doesn’t even begin to cover all overt racism displayed on Facebook outside a group, much less all racist online activity, much less real-world racism.

So yeah, it’s a tiny percent of a tiny percent of a tiny percent of the real number.

25 Likes

Adding to the list of “shocked” images…

10 Likes

13 Likes
10 Likes