Facebook hired GOP oppo firm to smear protesters by linking them to George Soros, an anti-Semitic trope: NYT

So to speak.

1 Like

They monitor websites for memberships that have nothing to do with them. Malignant assholes.
There is a Firefox addon that prevents this called “Facebook Disconnect.” Get it. Use it. Fuck these Orwellian nightmare trolls.

3 Likes

And the addiction to money and power on an unprecedented scale.

1 Like

If Soros was smart (and he is), he would short a ton of facebook stock, then hire some real legal piranhas that could turn up enough dirt to force advertisers to flee and crash facebook’s stock price.

God damnit! With blocks in the router and in hosts, there shouldn’t be any way that they could plant a cookie on me. Now I’m pissed off.

5 Likes

I use this list to block facebook. It hasn’t been updated in a bit, but it’s working for me. They sure have a lot of domains.

2 Likes

Looks like a great list. Unfortunately, I can’t find where to put it on my Mac running OS 10.9.5. (I know. I should upgrade to whatever osX is now, but I don’t want to lose some old favorite programs)
Can anyone tell a dumbass Mac user where to stick the “/etc/hosts” files from Github, aside from the obvious place?

Er, in ‘/etc/hosts’.

Probably add that list to whatever is already in there.

2 Likes

Well, if you’re not so at home in the Terminal, I recommend using TextWrangler to open the hostfile. It’s just a text file, located at /etc/hosts - yes, this is raw Unix we are dealing with. In TextWrangler you can open a file by address, which you will need since the files there are hidden from the Finder.

Note: do not replace the file! If you want to use the list Victor posted, then you are going to add the entries to the end of your /etc/hosts, as the already existing entries are vital!

1 Like

I’ll give that a try.

It’s where that facebook.com cookie came from that bugs me, since facebook.com is definitely blocked in hosts.

So… Either a Windows 10 cheat, a Firefox cheat, or cookies don’t work the way I thought they did.

2 Likes

All of the above?

2 Likes

So, yeah, the highlighted sentence about linking protesters to Soros in an antisemitic attempt to discredit them is disgusting. It sure is cast in a sociopathic, Machiavellian light by the second sentence. They were simultaneously:

1. Using antisemitic conspiracy theories to discredit protesters
  2. Smearing protesters as antisemitic

Why play one side when you can play both? It’s always awful to watch someones bigotry bubble up to the surface. I find it far more awful to see people play with bigotry as a tool, indifferent to any outcome except for their own benefit. Facebook is stoking antisemitism for profit.

Of course none of this is surprising. Zuckerberg has nothing but contempt for his users, and probably for people in general.

5 Likes

Easy enough to test with Linux and Chromium if I could catch the instant that cookie is added.

A parallel track to those run by Trump and his mentor Roy Cohn.

1 Like

Not even once, bub. Who’s this “you”, anyway?

See also “anti-fascism is the real fascism.”

6 Likes

“Anti-fascism is the real facism” is just “I know you are but what I am.” Playground stuff.

In this case Facebook took a group that had nothing to do with antisemitism and inserted antisemitism into the mix in an attempt to get both antisemites and anti-antisemites enraged at the group. And to make it way more sinister, remember that Facebook was the one controlling the information traffic. They had the facility to shape that traffic to deliver the antisemitism accusations to Jewish users and users with Jewish friends, and the anti-antisemitism information to user who they have profiled as bigots. This is revolting and a really good reason to go after Facebook with anti-trust laws.

6 Likes

Can’t find where it is.

Thanks for your help. I’m old.