Facebook hired GOP oppo firm to smear protesters by linking them to George Soros, an anti-Semitic trope: NYT

Thanks for your help. I’m just a dumb old guy and don’t know all this stuff. Hence the Mac.

That’s okay, so is Unix (the real OS that runs under Mac OS). I find myself getting more in touch with my younger geek self and the 1970’s roots of modern operating systems nowadays.

Which brings me to pointing out that Facebook has been abandoned, more or less, to us old farts. My 23 year old daughter doesn’t bother with Facebook other than use that other Facebook product, Instagram, now and then. She has other social network tools, and I do not want to know because then I would be intruding.

These days Tik Tok is pretty popular, a competitor to Musica.ly. It’s basically Vine + Youtube + Karaoke

Beyond that i’m not super familiar on what social media alternatives might be popular because i’ve always avoided such platforms. I tolerate FB out of necessity but waiting for a good replacement still.

If you don’t want to muck around with Terminal to edit your hosts file, this PrefPane will let you do it from System Preferences:

It apparently has some UI glitches in 10.14 (I installed it ages ago but haven’t mucked around with it in a while), but since you’re still running 10.9 you should be fine.

Here we go:

1: Facebook attempted to link protesters to George Soros
2: Facebook Hired a PR Company to Publish Articles Critical of Competitors
3: Zuckerberg questioned whether Trump’s immigration comments broke Facebook rules
4: Facebook backed an Internet sex trafficking bill to make Google look bad
5: Chuck Schumer lobbied senators to go easy on Facebook

Ah! No mention of antisemitism. How odd!

The comments were as you’d expect. Some seemed familiar somehow.
falsebook

2 Likes

Now the lifeblood of the industry is seeing this potential employer for the toxic sludgepit it is:

I’m pretty sure that a subdomain can store a cookie for its parent domain, and that hosts doesn’t do wildcard blocking (x . facebook . com). You can do wildcard blocking on some routers with dnsmasq but I’ve been using pi-hole and it’s pretty great.

Thanks, alahmnat.
I have downloaded it. Now to approach it circuitously, as if it were a large hairy bug.

The for the advice, fnordius.
I don’t mind cracking the case of this computer to fix things, but somehow the arcaneliness of deep software is my Kryptonite.

okayjlaw

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering. I’ll add it to the list of “obvious lazy shortcuts to problems that’ll bite them badly in the end”.

1 Like

I use an add-on that automatically nukes all cookies except those that I whitelist. Facebook may sneak one or two in past the filters but it’ll be deleted the moment I close the offending tab. Not sure how it could even get a cookie in since I have disabled third party cookies and I’m physically blocked from accessing facebook directly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.