Facebook is buying Giphy in deal valued at $400 million

Company that gets rich by monetizing content created for free by other people set to be acquired by company that gets rich by monetizing content created for free by other people.

15 Likes

I’m not sure, but maybe it’s accessible for someone who is using a wheelchair?

2 Likes

At least it’s on their radar i suppose, despite the repubs likely to block any attempt to reign in these fucking tech behemoths. I mean, the places you can now go on the net without facebook/google/amazon prying into everything you do even if you don’t have an active account with them just diminishes by the day.

5 Likes

In that case, not everyone will be able to afford privacy and it becomes another luxury for the elite. We all know what William Gibson said…

5 Likes

Z wants one smooth uninterrupted motion in removing, micro-waving, then retrieving his now warmed bug-shaped ass plug.

1 Like

Oddly this is where our microwave would have gone (except in a kitchen island). Why? There’s no other rational place to put it except just sitting on top of the island, which raises costs for the island. We couldn’t put it in the regular cabinets without redoing them completely, and they were a year old when we bought the place.

We wound up doing without a microwave altogether, though, because we still would have needed an electrician to get the damn thing powered on. I talked my wife out of it because we weren’t using it that much to begin with, and it turns out that we don’t really miss it. (If we had kids it might be a different story.)

1 Like

Your gif choices can reveal your politics. This ain’t good.

3 Likes

It’s easier to get the children in there.

5 Likes

If that’s your value proposition, may I suggest Signal? Sure, it doesn’t have the market penetration that iMessage has, but then, iMessage isn’t available for Android users or any users of non-Apple devices. Signal is cross platform, secure by design, and free in both senses of the word. It runs on Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. On Android phones, it can take the place of the default messaging app, which is nice.

1 Like

I would love to use signal or telegram - unfortunately of course it requires everyone in my circle to feel the same and adopt a new platform just for me, which is hard. I’m already known as the anti-WhatsApp guy; at least everyone in my family and small business also use iMessage so I can (for the most part) get them to use it.
We’ll see…

1 Like

We got to that point a long time ago.

It’s not just about ability to pay; it’s about willingness too. Plenty of rich folks willingly use gmail over paid alternatives (or even free alternatives that might be available to them, like iCloud mail), because privacy just isn’t on their radar.

4 Likes

I was thinking that maybe Zuck either requires his staff to remain on their knees at all times, or maybe there is another explaination.

1 Like

$400M? I…must really not understand how internet work. All I knew up until now is that there was this annoying middleman locking up previously available simple gifs into bizarre formats with spotty and confusing support and dominating my google searches so that I can’t find actual gifs that I can just copy and paste. You know, like pinterest is for jpegs. Where do the profits come from exactly that justify this valuation? messaging apps pay to dip into their indexed bank to offer “suggested gifs” for people? woof. I can say with all confidence I don’t have the right kind of imagination to get rich on the internet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.