Facebook kept copies of videos you deleted

And when we create a legal equivalence between digital and meat-space individuals, we’ll just make the legal definition of murder, harm, etc. contingent on all versions experiencing that outcome.

Egads… I am in a state… I’ma stop posting until I get more prosocial today.

1 Like

Well flagging something as ”deleted” is not the same as actually removing it from database. Flagging something as deleted usually means flagging it as “not to be used unless willing to pay out of court settlement”. In a way it is like attaching a potential price tag. And good luck with “deleting” your profile.

Just out of curiosity what is BoingBoing’s policy about similar matters? For example if I would to delete my account what would happen to stuff I post here?

1 Like

Sounds like they’re actually being really honest. Their security of your data is actually perfect because they don’t have any of your data. It’s all their data!

7 Likes

I have no idea what’s going on behind the curtain at BoingBoing, but during my ‘unfortunate underemployment’, I had no regular access to the internet*, and although I would occasionally read BB, I didn’t login or post on it for at least 5 years. So now, I have a mutual arrangement with my internet addict neighbor who runs three different wifi signals out of his house (kids), and I discovered that my account had evaporated. I’m re-using my old username that had been recycled back into the ‘unused’ pile, but when I tried (not very hard) to find some of my old postings, nothing came back. So, I’m sure if I had made postings that were alarming, maybe they would have gone into a special file drawer, but they were just the ramblings of just another egotistical moron ranting from a soapbox in the webby town square.

*I would go to the library to do my internet searches, but I didn’t waste any time on attempting to post to anything - I would just hold my breath, dive into the internet, and feverish scribble down notes on how to fix my car, etc.

12 Likes

TOS seems to explicitly say that any coment is considered User Generate Content and rights to it are granted to Happy Mutants in perpetuity. It is also covered with a CC license. It doesn’t really say what happens if an user decides to delete an account.

The best I could dig out is this:

1 Like

Maybe you were on BoingBoing’s forum before they switched platforms? As I understand it, everyone had to set up a brand new account when BoingBoing started using Discourse. (I joined since then, so I didn’t experience that myself.) I have no idea whether comments made on the old platform are accessible at all anywhere…

2 Likes

Well, there’s intentionally dropping out, and then there’s just ‘falling behind the filing cabinet’…

Hey! Do you use more than one email account to post comments? Maybe switching to StaneStane@godaddy would be another way to break the chain, since I assume StaneStane is NOT your real name.

I don’t really wanna break the chain nor intend to delete my account on BoingBoing. I would just want to know what official policy of BoingBoing is on this matter. Maybe it’s already written somewhere and I am just missing it.

Oh and StaneStane is just my real life nickname repeated twice. It’s a short version of my first (or even last name) in my native dialect.

1 Like

Ah! I misunderstood. I thought you were bailing out of ALL social media, BB included.

Sorry but I knew what I was getting into when I opened my FB account. Can’t really claim to be shocked.

2 Likes

Well, BoingBoing is pretty obscure to non-Mutants, so anyone nosy probably just checks for your real name on FacePlant, Twits, etc. and gives up.

Interesting! ‘RedFury’ was my nickname for car #2, which is probably up on blocks somewhere in the western US as we speak. Believe me, naming that wimpy, sputtering hatchback ‘RedFury’ was pure, wild irony…but it drove Route 66 all the way from the Grand Canyon to St. Louis - and BEYOND!

i wanted my avatar to be a pic of a fishing lure called the Red Fury, but it didn’t shrink well. I never even saw ‘Antman’.

I tend to be very paranoid about letting anybody learn my last name, because it’s
A. Rare - VERY rare, and extinct in our country of origin
B. One of my older siblings was a gun-happy drug dealer
C. It sounds very pompous

2 Likes

Yep! That’s exactly what happened! I think I also abandoned my ‘fake name email account’ I was using for not-business things. I set it up to work as a spam filter, but it became fatally clogged when I quit shaking the dead leaves out of it.

1 Like

I like you this way.

2 Likes

Poindexter’s little black project: TIA

“…with data mining knowledge gleaned from the private sector…” aka Facebook.

(actually wikipedia article says “…with data mining knowledge gleamed from the private sector…” which has to be a typo, but I am not a wiki editor if anybody wants to fix it, that would be great, thanks)

2 Likes

For the public stuff, well you post things to Facebook to share with other people, and once it’s published, it’s public, so of course there could be copies of it anywhere. That’s kind of obvious.

I have no idea why anyone would login and send Facebook videos of themselves checking their teeth or rehearsing instead of just using their device/camera’s built-in features, but if they chose to send the video to Facebook, it’s not really surprising that FB still has a copy.

Private messenger’s a bit different though. And in fact, when I’ve looked at my archive, I can’t find messages from before I deleted a conversation. However, that’s still a 3-party conversation, so I have to assume that Facebook and the other person may have copies. To me, not knowing what other people (or Facebook) might still have is more annoying than knowing that they have the things I’d expect them to have.

1 Like

via Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

Companies are actually obliged to store copies of chat logs for specific amounts of time for various law enforcement purposes. For example if chat logs can be used as part of criminal investigation or as evidence in court. The time varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

That makes sense. My point was that other people still have access to those messages, but I don’t (because I clicked Delete), whereas apparently if you take a video of yourself flossing your teeth and delete it without sharing it, you still would have access (according to the article). I’d rather still have access to things that other people still have access to than to things that I’d never shared. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.