Facebook Oversight Board OKs deepfake political videos like the one of Biden groping own grand-daughter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/06/facebook-oversight-board-says-it-can-allow-deepfake-political-videos-like-the-one-of-biden-groping-own-grand-daughter.html

2 Likes

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

14 Likes

Maybe it’s time for a few deep fakes of Zuck doing things. I don’t know, maybe one saying he’s going to donate all his money to the Democrats, then another to the Republicans.

21 Likes

What’s a zuck to do? Not actively destroy democracy and take a slight revenue cut? Inconceivable! /s

13 Likes

This is yet another instance of tech executives accepting Thatcher’s neoliberal dictum that there’s no such thing as society.

Rebecca Solnit just wrote a typically great piece on this.

Oh, those will be banned immediately. Wilhoit and all that…

14 Likes

Oh, I figured they would be. It’s just ammo for Congress.

7 Likes

In that case, we really need to see deepfakes of Zuck sitting next to Congresspeople from both parties, explaining his decision to allow deepfakes while they nod and vocally agree. And then right after Zuck hands each of them a donation cheque.

16 Likes

Passive aggressive policy? Ai vids ok but Ai images bad?

4 Likes

At least they’re consistent…oh.

7 Likes

Not technically a deepfake, if it matters - actual video was looped to make it appear that Biden’s hand was inappropriately lingering.

Per the BBC article: “The video in question edited existing footage of the US President with his granddaughter to make it appear as though he was touching her inappropriately.”

The details of the misleading editing are discussed in greater detail on Ars Technica’s coverage, if anyone is interested.

8 Likes

I’m charitably reading this as the Board saying that there were no reasons for taking the images down under their company’s rules and regulations. I’m assuming they are worried about a future case where Meta could find itself on the legal hook for removing a post without having a clear policy. Hopefully their calls for strengthened regulation in this area will actually mean something. But I won’t hold my breath.

Having said that - fuck Facebook for making the world worse each and every day.

11 Likes

Facebook writes vague rules.
Oversight Committee - “This vulgar obscene content falls within the rules”
Facebook “WE ARE COMPLIANT”

4 Likes

FB’s “oversight” is shit. Not just bad, but shit. If the EU rolls up its sleeves and lays down some laws, I would be delighted.
My recent experience:
A third party - I forget their name - posts a picture of Zoe Ball, with an attention-grabbing headline, and the logo “BBC.COM” below the picture. If you click on the link, you find what looks like a BBC webpage, with highlighted phrases in the text which lead you to - guess what? - a Bitcoin selling site. The BBC page is a scraping, and none of its regular links work. Well, let’s report that. Nope, the Original Post does not contravene our community standards. …And, we note, that it’s a sponsored post! Okay, FB, can you maybe do a little diligence here and check the link they present? Please review my complaint. Nope! The ORIGINAL POST does not go against our community standards. Which are abysmally low anyway. I’ve seen a couple of posts like this, and friends of mine have complained as well. I’ve tried contacting the BBC about this - if they scraped a webpage of mine I’d be mightily pissed off. Probably nothing will happen. but boy, Meta needs to be reined in.

10 Likes

Misleading edits are a huge thing and a lot harder to combat. For example, Biden was repeating a gaffe made by Trump, but if you play only the snippet, it sounds like HE was making the gaffe.

6 Likes

In this case I think it matters a lot as I believe this is why they said it shouldn’t be removed, the removal policy was only supposed to apply to Deepfakes or other ‘AI’ based manipulations. This is why they also describe it as incoherent, you could produce exactly the same misleading material in different ways with one breaching their standards and the other not.

3 Likes

This election cycle is going to be weird… dangerous and weird.

6 Likes

The ratio of user content to moderators on the platform is so ridiculously high that it’s unlikely Facebook would be able to effectively police this kind of thing even if they wanted to. Literal acts of genocide have been spurred by unpoliced misinformation on Facebook.

That they’re not even pretending to care anymore is just unfathomably sad.

4 Likes

I’m sure Zuck will allow the deepfake of Trump’s golden showers.

4 Likes

Pity they sacked a huge chunk of the moderators last year then in order to “focus on AI” in order to lay off workers.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s why I said “even if they wanted to…” it’s clear that they don’t.

2 Likes