Facebook's crackdown on publishers feeds has sites paying celebs to repost

Now that is an interesting point. The internet was created to be decentralised, and FB has largely centralised it. Add on the monopoly laws, and… anti-trust suit? Maybe not, but I’d like to see one. FB isn’t really popular anymore, just entrenched.

2 Likes

I don’t understand. I occasionally see my friends post stuff on FaceBag from BoingBoing (though now that you mention it, it seems less frequent)… Why is FaceBag deleting stuff like BoingBoing reposts (FaceBook is so frustrating to navigate, so terribly organized, and so fundamentally useless for any meaningful sharing of information that I have intentionally avoided wasting any time trying to understand how it ‘works’, also they change things arbitrarily so why bother)… Nonetheless I’m curious why/how they would delete someone’s post.

1 Like

So, pretty much the older-than-dirt SEO ‘trick’ of trying to get high traffic sites to link to your crap; applied to facebook’s ‘social’ walled garden, where the equivalent of high traffic sites are celebrity profiles.

Fantastic. A problem where everything involved deserves to be burned down; but that isn’t an option.

2 Likes

1 Like

Remember when publishers’ biggest problem was Google News linking to their content for free? The good old days, eh?

1 Like

I understand all the individual words in this story, I just don’t understand them arranged in this particular order.

Now stay off my lawn, you kids!

1 Like

George Takei’s FB feed turned to nothing but viral web crap a while ago. He used to to pay comedians to make jokes for him, adding “sent by a friend” or some such. Now he, apparently, gets paid to post links to those viral ad sites that break up every post into a single photo or bullet per page and make it pretty much impossible not accidentally click on an ad as you try to get to the next page. I had to unsubscribe. :frowning:

5 Likes

1 Like

Could you offer some citations and examples that show this fact as it operates in the wild? I’m not familiar with news/human interest being deleted by facebook. Not been my experience, any examples?

1 Like

Such an ironic post for spam accounts to pick up on.

2 Likes

I just did.

You can’t tell me what to do. You’re not my dad!

2 Likes

Glad! And a like for being amusing.

1 Like

I and my friends reblog BB articles all the time, and facebook is filled with 99% glurgey “human interest” stories, zero clue what problem that person has but it is not as stated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.