Facebook's secret blacklist revealed

Originally published at: Facebook's secret blacklist revealed | Boing Boing

7 Likes

download-1

18 Likes

Not unexpectedly, Palestinians have been hit hard:

19 Likes

According to the list itself, both of these groups are internally designated as “Armed Militias,” inexplicably.

Guessing this is a case where they wanted to use the same restrictions, but didn’t create a new group technically… definitely :grimacing:

3 Likes

There are a sh’t ton of “armed militias” on that list.

Lots of really badly named “Music Bands” too.

8 Likes

I mean, if you are part of a hate group or are a terrorist, you must be aware of that designation… the fact that you’d be unable to create a page would make it obvious, would it not? So I’m not sure how anyone is being “tipped off” here.

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

15 Likes

Goodwill is listed as a terror organization. Did I miss something about them?

8 Likes

They exploit disabled workers by paying them the inexplicably-legal less than minimum wage, but AFAIK they’re no Hobby Lobby…

12 Likes

Even Hobby Lobby would be listed as a hate group at worst, I think (not that they are, I checked). Goodwill is on the same list as the Taliban!

9 Likes

Did not see that one coming.

They did terrorize me once for bringing in an old cathode ray tube TV. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Well, Hobby Lobby did finance the illegal exfiltration of biblically-relevant historical artifacts from Iraq which likely financed ISIL…

But yeah, genuinely no idea why Goodwill is on Facebook’s no-fly list.

10 Likes
  1. Wow, what is going on with German hate bands??? I thought Germany had restrictive anti-hate speech laws.

2. “Armed right-wing militias in the US are placed in a far more permissive 3rd tier, subject to the lightest restrictions.” Where does it say that in the list released? There are a lot of what looks to be right wing militia types on the list. So that is good they are on the radar, at least. Possibly a few leftist ones too, I saw a John Brown Militia listed.

3. “Last year, Facebook banned anti-capitalist media orgs” Who would have thought capitalists don’t want anti-capitalists on their platform??

5 Likes

How is it that the more I learn about how Facebook operates, the shittier it reveals itself to be? I thought I had hit bottom with them a while ago, but noooooo…

11 Likes

Policy written so that millennials in charge can make informed decisions…

"The type of content that does not violate our policies and is therefore allowed on our platform.

Advocating:

Violence in a fictional setting (e.g. “kill all the Orcs in Mordor”). "

5 Likes

Armed right-wing militias in the US are placed in a far more permissive 3rd tier, subject to the lightest restrictions.

This is my surprised face…

9 Likes

It’s shit all the way down; there is no bottom.

4 Likes

There in no “bottom” to a black hole…

3 Likes

I keep waiting for a “here’s something Facebook does right” story, but I’m not seeing them - even from Facebook itself. (Or at least no such stories from Facebook that are even remotely convincing.)

5 Likes

Is it me, or is the link to the actual Intercept article in question missing?

1 Like

Looks like it just relocated…

3 Likes