Failing to learn science may cost 4 Airforce Academy cadets their degrees, tuition, and career

While I’m not very fond of the military, I can respect people who join with a genuine desire to protect their country. Cadets who won’t even protect their coworkers and themselves from preventable disease, almost certainly because of conspiracy theories from people who want to turn the country into a fascist theocracy, not so much.

10 Likes

It is well-known that Evangelical right wingers have target the student body at the Air Force Academy for YEARS for recruitment.

5 Likes

Is one of the bigger asshats in the Senate.

Fixed it for you.

9 Likes

Absolutely. My dad enlisted in the USAF in the early '50s and served again as an officer in the '60s and '70s. He went for a physical late in life and was still testing positive for antibodies for exotic tropical diseases that puzzled his GP until Dad told him he’d had vaccinations for a variety of diseases way back when.

5 Likes

I have a relative who flies fighter jets now after graduating AA.

Full MAGA asshole who on his spare time makes automatic weapons for friends.

Uhh, you’ve reported him, right?

(ETA quote for context)

5 Likes

Engineers don’t generally study biology, though I would have expected respect for science in general…

4 Likes

Well they can keep these former students. They are of no use to the Air Force.

2 Likes

respect for science in general…

One general at least, maybe a short chain.

5 Likes

For failing to educate them about vaccines?

2 Likes

I have no military experience myself but I’ve seen the point made many times, in many places, that if you don’t like being told what to do (including what vaccines to get), then the military may not have been a wise career choice.

13 Likes

Said basically that to a kid who refused to wear a mask in the airport when it was mandated, who was in a big group heading to Basic Training…

7 Likes

Yikes!
I mean, good on you, but how did that go?

5 Likes

Refusing a direct order to wear a mask isn’t going to work out well for that kid if and when he gets to the “tear gas chamber” part of basic training.

7 Likes

The rest of the 20-some recruits all gave him a hard time until he complied. It just took one person so say what everybody else was thinking. That’s how most of society works. Well, at least if you’re a middle-aged white guy…

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

13 Likes

Just came across this. These guys can refuse their commissions, but can still be ordered to serve four years as an enlisted. And I saw somewhere on a forum elsewhere that the academies viewed imputed (i.e., payback) cost at around $150K in 2014… would be a bit higher than that now.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.