Fake trailer for all those "White Middle-Aged Man Travels Around Again" shows from Britain

Originally published at: Fake trailer for all those "White Middle-Aged Man Travels Around Again" shows from Britain | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Heh, good satire!

I think part of the brilliance of what Philomena Cunk does is taking the piss out of the white masculinity of this travel show genre.

15 Likes

Well, that’s certainly put Richard Ayoade in his place!

2 Likes

Dear lord - at least half of the middle-aged, white, male TV presenters are making programmes about train trips on British television - usually the same train trip as was shown a few weeks ago with another middle-aged, white, male TV presenter.

Of course, these train trips are not the ones the likes of you and I take on overcrowded trains with seats like ironing boards that are often terminated with zero warning; instead they get the Blue Train, the Ghan or swoosh in expenses-paid, gratis comfort across Japan.

Meanwhile, an army of middle-aged, white, female TV presenters are all traipsing around Cornwall talking about its beaches ‘proud mining heritage’ and cream teas whilst somehow never seeing any of the deeply engrained poverty.

13 Likes

This breaks the Adjective Order rules, doesn’t it? Order force: the old grammar rule we all obey without realising | Tim Dowling | The Guardian

5 Likes

“Middle-Aged” isn’t a material?

2 Likes

Someone is gunning for ABK’s throne!

Seriously though, that is pretty spot on, especially the music.

5 Likes

Nailed it.

I want the option of watching an edit of these shows without the same overly long overview at the start, followed by a montage of what’s in the episode, “coming up” precaps before each ad break, recaps after each break and a “next time” montage at the end. (And if it’s on Channel 5, details of a competition for some reason).

If you’re referring to Travel Man, the style is very different. Plus Hugo Boss Joe Lycett’s doing it now :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

12 Likes

I thought “An Idiot Abroad” already did it pretty well…

7 Likes

“W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ Middle-Aged Man with a Nigerian father and a Norwegian mother Travels Around Again”

5 Likes

You forgot “Middle-Aged Man with a Nigerian Father and a Norwegian mother who always had his sweets stolen by chodes like Rob Beckett Travels Around Again.”

6 Likes

This sort of thing?

10 Likes

Aren’t these sorts of travel shows excuses for cinematography?

4 Likes

Ah yes, with bonus voice-over saying the same thing as the people talking :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you!
Never heard of her before, but there went one hour…and many to follow probably.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m aware enough to diagnose if Chris Broad falls into this trap or not.
He strays pretty close by being middle aged, white, British, and disposed to taking trips in Japan.

… perhaps it’s a flavor, or a scent :thinking:

3 Likes

I haven’t watched much Cunk, and already a single picture of her is enough to get me giggling helplessly. Love her stuff!

6 Likes

There are so many variations of this style of show but not involving middle-aged white men (e.g. Richard Ayoade) that it’s a trope which depends basically on Michael Portillo and Michael Palin.

I’ve never watched Michael Palin but Michael Portillo’s train journeys are actually rather good. And we should celebrate public transport.