#FalconHeavy success: SpaceX launches world's biggest rocket

Agreed, but then it could’ve gone more perfectly :wink:

2 Likes

But why did he wait to pop the parachute until after he landed?

2 Likes

SpaceX has a live feed of their new space car orbiting the planet:

Rewind to the beginning if all you see is a diagram of the rocket’s current location.

This is the second coolest thing I have seen today (the coolest being the totally metal re-entry and landing of those 2 boosters)

12 Likes

My mother, a science fiction writer, and my father, an academic and artist, used to wake us up to watch every single Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launch on TV. We watched the first moon landing with them. Today, watching this, I wept. This is thrilling, and beautiful, and full of the promise we all felt then.

16 Likes

Totally bad ass!

Wouldn’t it freak out the planet if the thumb went up?! :grinning:

6 Likes

I truly couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that perfect synchronous landing. It’s bizarre that this is possible.

2 Likes

It occurs to me that if Musk really wanted to get rid of a body there’s no way for anyone to confirm that it’s really just a dummy in that spacesuit.

13 Likes

“Don’t Panic” Nice touch on the dash.

8 Likes

Video at 38:33 shows the drone ship deck being clear for the center core landing… then immediately at 38:34 the view is completely obscured by smoke and then camera image frozen. Not a good sign. And the trajectory graphics showed that the center core was to land at roughly the same time as the boosters.

2 Likes

“Not again!”

4 Likes

Fucking fuck!

Rumors that Starman is Vice President Pence and that Paul Ryan’s stuffed in the trunk have been dismissed by SpaceX as wishful thinking.

12 Likes

Given the current ‘trajectory’ of things involving Earth (in general), having a space-suited dummy piloting a Tesla roadster around the Sun may end up being Earth’s greatest gift to the Universe.

5 Likes

I’m blasting off right now.

5 Likes

My dad woke me up in 1981 to watch Columbia take off on TV. I was 8 years old. I’ve never forgotten it. I moved to Florida in 1982 ad have seen literally hundreds of launches since. Unfortunately, Challenger too. Some are better than others, but they are all amazing to me.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Don’t taunt me so early in the day.

I shan’t.

1 Like

Gracias mi amigo or amiga.

1 Like

Amigo, amigo.

1 Like