#FalconHeights: Philando Castile is the latest Black man shot dead by police on camera “for no reason at all”

That’s pretty much all I’ve got, too.

[Edit: Ah, here we go:]

9 Likes

That’s probably because you’re white… or at least close enough in appearance so that YOU don’t have to worry about living through an encounter with the police, even if you’ve done nothing illegal.

19 Likes

He had a gun!! I know because he told me.

Doesn’t that make perfect sense? I mean, before I pull out a piece on a cop…with my wife next to me…and my little daughter in the back seat…I always tell him I’m carrying. Right!??

I’m not mincing my words anymore. The cops are completely out of control. They are getting recruits from the likes of the KKK and other terrorist orginizations. This is not going to stop or even slow down until a cop gets convicted and serves a sentence that is more than just a slap on the wrist. In the name of justice, in the name of Tatiana Grant and all the other children whose daddy never came home after an encounter with a cop, we MUST protest.

I, for one, have had WAY more than enough. I will take to the streets in protest. We all need to. ALL of us.

No justice - No peace!

9 Likes

No, at ~6% of the population and ~28% of the getting shot at, it indicates that being black and near a cop is more dangerous than being white and near a cop. That’s what the numbers show, and that’s just for this year, over the years black people are shot at closer to 50%. That you can’t see what’s in the numbers you’re producing is demonstrative of a massive blind spot.

Yeah, totally not significant. Not all. Nothing to see here folks.

14 Likes

I was once stopped while driving through West Texas. I was 17, and transporting about 90 guns for my Dad from Colorado. There had been a prison escape, and there was a roadblock. They searched the truck, found it almost completely crammed full of guns and ammo. They asked if I had seen the jailbirds, then told me to have a nice day. If this had happened today, or if I had not been a clean cut polite white kid, it might have been different.

1 Like

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/a/e/ae31f3a1dba83bc30a33d95388d9e6b7b92192ce_1_690x460.jpg

8 Likes

I did not say that race was not a factor. Just that it might not be the primary factor. I would think that being in a high crime area would factor in. That is probably related to race, but is not the same thing.

I think it is 12% of the population.

Exactly. The world’s most considerate budding cop killer.
/s

It’s all so fucking dumb. I mean, you’re supposed to declare during a traffic stop if you have a firearm in the vehicle or on your person exactly so shit like this is less likely to occur.

6 Likes

I believe that he did exactly what he was supposed to do. You always tell the officer about a weapon in the car. Then you keep your hands on the wheel until he tells you to either get the ID or get out of the car so that he can do it. But this is likely another case of a person who is innocent acting like an innocent person. He likely reached for his wallet without even considering that the cop might think he was going for a gun. I don’t think cops understand the psychology of innocent people.

7 Likes

Yes, and now that the truth about these racist murders is definitely known, the card-carrying NRA members bear moral responsibility.

As the NRA continues to factionalize, former NRA members will face growing shame over their apologies for racists and child murderers on forums like this one.

And no sane, civilized person wants to be the last dupe repeating nonsense talking points with Ted Nugent while everyone else wonders why it took so long to see the truth: guns increase risk of harm.

4 Likes

I may have posted this before, but what the hell.

Warning: Graphic violence.

3 Likes

Also, apparently don’t comprehend the existence of innocent black people…

13 Likes

I hadn’t seen it. I like it. The lyrics hit the right points. I always post Pearl Jam’s ‘WMA’. (Can’t now, or I would).

Thanks.

1 Like

QFMFT.

Also, I happen to be in Minneapolis at the moment and was curious where Falcon Heights was. Kudos to Minnesota Public Radio for being the only traditional news outlet on the first page of google results that didn’t go with the reprehensible “officer-involved shooting” phrase(there were a couple of blog hits that also didnt).

1 Like

That stream was very difficult to watch. I’m amazed how calm his girlfriend was during the whole ordeal, and that she possessed the foresight to not only record it, but live-stream it so that the footage wouldn’t ‘disappear’ as well. If this case isn’t the one that finally sees some modicum of justice found at the end of it then there’s no hope for America.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I have done a lot of surveillance of police. And a disturbing, self-serving creed which I have found is common among (at least some populations of) police is that: “There are no innocent people!” If somebody arouses your suspicions, they are certainly guilty of something, and it is the perceived job of the cop to figure out what that something is. And most cops don’t have extensive legal training, so that “something” often is only that they “didn’t like the look” of the people, or that they “weren’t acting right”, or some such bullshit. And many of them lack the self-awareness to really consider what the sources of these intuitions may be.

I don’t have any love for lawyers, but I can respect that at least they need to have some idea what the laws are before they go making up weasel stories

5 Likes

I mean that in terms of arms smuggling.

You’re aware that Papua New Guinea (crime rates that make Mexico look like Switzerland) and Indonesia (source of the most deadly terrorist attack on Australians in history) are both close enough to Australia that you can easily make the trip in a small open boat?

3 Likes