#FalconHeights: Philando Castile is the latest Black man shot dead by police on camera “for no reason at all”

You really think anyone needs to smuggle guns INTO the US? Really?

9 Likes

I can’t speak for Mr. Blanke, but I suspect we’ll be heading down this path if we pursue that avenue:

Pretty far off topic for the thread we’re in.

Which avenue? My point was that we’re already awash in both legal and illegal guns… no needs to smuggle them in since they are already here in abundance.

I know we’re off topic… but we had to be told that racism isn’t the problem by people who know better than the rest of us, so here we are. It’s getting pretty tedious, in fact that these threads always get knocked off topic because we need to be informed about how racism isn’t the problem when cops shoot black Americans…

7 Likes

I’m entirely in agreement with you. I just prefer not entertaining the notion the US border with Mexico or illegal guns have anything to do with this topic. Why argue with someone who is coming in at a 90° angle from the topic being discussed?

I see that as the problem here, of course. But I’m probably just adding to the problem, though…

I’m not trying to call you out for responding to the statement. I’m tired of derailing. If someone wants to have a conversation about gun laws, the US border, ATF negligence, etc, start a thread somewhere else. There isn’t a damn thing in this case that has anything to do with the US / Mexico border, or how it is policed.

2 Likes

I know, I didn’t think you were! :wink: I just realize I’m not helping, but I’m also tired of this sort of derailing. That’s in real life, too though. You try to talk about race in America, and some white guys going to derail.

4 Likes

He’s good at slipping snide shit like that into his comments, isn’t he.

1 Like

8 Likes

Yes. The lady is the most dignified, intelligent, composed, crisis-capable human being I’ve probably ever seen in an online video. She is 100% awesome and more qualified to lead the country, just to pick a topical hypothetical, than any candidate that was in the running.

It’s not a myth. I grew up with the passive-aggressive bullshit. They’ll smile at your face while they stab you in the back. To this day, I have a special level of loathing for duplicity.

Nor have police in the Twin Cities ever had a great reputation in black neighborhoods. They’ve simply replaced “crack house” raids of the 80’s with extrajudicial killings. Stillwater must be full.

4 Likes

That’s what I meant: “Minnesota Nice” is a myth.

2 Likes

I’m pasty-as-fuck.
Does that count as an ‘illegal tint?’

I’ve never been to the USA, but here is an article that essentially says the same thing:

vox.com: “I’m a black ex-cop, and this is the real truth about race and policing”.

We are rooted in racism in spite of the better efforts of Americans of all races to change that. Because of this legacy of racism, police abuse in black and brown communities is generations old. It is nothing new. It has become more visible to mainstream America largely because of the proliferation of personal recording devices.

I’ve never been to the USA, and I have a hard time wrapping my head around the US race discourse. For example, in continental Europe, you would rather not use the word “race”, it would be inappropriate and most likely identify you as a racist! Whereas in the US, it is used as a neutral term. Of course we have racism here (duh), but the discourse works rather differently.

4 Likes

Yes, thanks, I read that too, an excellent article that also explains how common police abuse in the U.S. of black and brown people is, how common it is that police get away with it, and what the judicial culture is like that harbors and fosters such impunity. It should be required reading everywhere in the U.S., but sadly (as the article also says), that article provides a perspective that gets very little attention. Even as so many of us have been taught to rail against all things associated with “the government,” we’re a fearful, authority-loving nation, and thus so many of us worship the police in general, about as much as they worship soldiers “fighting” globally in our various imperialist resource-grabs.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.