Family calls cops for help with harassment, cop shoots their dog and complains about the cost of the bullet

I can imagine there might be times when they need somebody killed very thoroughly, with no hope of medical treatment. On the other hand, I’ve heard English cops have rubber bullets, and a good deal less crime.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. This is also how groups like Hezbollah and the Taliban gain(ed) support.

But it might even be less organized than that, for example if this family still feels the need to respond to harassment, they may take matters into their own hands and/or enlist the help of friends and neighbors, without worrying about things like due process.

Yes indeed, I am mentioning this as a potential problem, not a good thing; I think we agree on that. I would much rather see the current system fixed/improved and working the way it is supposed to.

1 Like

Dude, what? Come on. I’ve just learnt that the most cynical prognostication you can envision is often the most accurate.

What if the problem is in culture at large?

1 Like

Trump would say this doesn’t qualify as a shooting/mental health issue.

1 Like

To clarify the points below, the most effective bullets are those that fragment into tiny pieces at the first object they hit. The other big upside is that there will be little damage to the second thing it hits. That becomes the major advantage if you anticipate the possibility of having to fire the gun indoors. You can never be absolutely sure about what is on the other side of a wall.
But that is about the rationale behind the use of hollow points. I am dumbfounded at why police keep shooting dogs, as they have a bad enough image these days. I am surprised that people don’t attack the officer when it happens.
I got stopped for an obscured license plate last week. I had a bird dog with me as usual in the pickup. The officer let me get out and look at the license plate. About 5 seconds later, the puppy jumped out of the driver’s window and jumped on one of the cops. I was terrified for the puppy, even though she was obviously wagging her tail and happy to see new people. Thankfully, the cop just petted the puppy and let me get her back into the truck.

We used to have a 45 of that!

This should be a comfort to the first thing.

Yeah, but I heard there may be something wrong with him.

It is called “deadly force” to remind you of the seriousness of what you are committing to by pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger. Or at least it is supposed to be taken seriously.
But even when you have made that decision, it is reasonable to take measures to ensure that the person or object you have decided to use that force on is hit, and nothing else.
I am not advocating ever shooting people or dogs. Far from it. Just addressing the subject of bullet choice.

3 Likes

Shooting a dog smaller than many house cats because reasons? And has the balls to complain about a bullet? It’s nonsense like this that makes it hard to trust the reasons given for shootings.

It’s a fucking weiner dog. It’s not a threat to a grown ass man who’s also wearing armor and carries a stick expressly given to him for beating people and animals when he’s not having his life threatened.

You know. He’s given all the tools he needs to be a respectable and efficient cop, but it’s like he can’t be arsed into doing a half decent job for however much we pay him.

Cops do make quite a bit more than average for unskilled labor.

3 Likes

More stopping power, don’t whistle through the target and lessens possibility of going through adjacent walls etc accidently hitting things on other side of target. Basically designed to hit subject, flatten, bounce around internally this stopping subject and emerging slower velocity litre not at all.

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body. That’s right, since 1899 most militaries banned the use of hollow point rounds as being inhumane. But it’s fine to use on your citizens.

The pass-through risk can be mitigated with a lower gunpowder load per round and a smaller caliber bullet. I should add here that anyone who tells you that you need a big caliber weapon to stop someone has never seen what a .22 rimfire (rimfire are the cheapest rounds usually with less velocity than a centerfire) will do to a person. Heck, the military M16 is basically a .22 caliber round.

The only logical reason to use a hollow point is to do as much damage to the target as possible aka kill them dead. Our cops carry hollow points to make sure anyone they hit dies. It’s really as simple as that.

It’s really not.

Yes, the caliber is similar. But the .223 uses a 62 grain bullet going about 3000 feet per second. A .22LR bullet weighs roughly half as much as the .223, and goes roughly 1/3rd the speed.

I wouldn’t want to get shot by either. But I know I’d much rather be shot at range with a .22LR than a .223.

Firearms and ammunition is more complicated than just the bullet diameter.

I’ve seen a lot of ballistic gel testing, and the available stats for penetration testing show that Roundnose/spitzer bullets really do penetrate a lot more than hollowpoints. And while I agree the stopping power issue is really why cops want to use them, the reduced likelihood of overpenetration through people and walls is still a valid point.

I think you just missed the entire point I was making. I was saying large caliber rounds are unnecessary and that a small caliber round with a lighter powder load mitigates pass through damage without the need for a hotter load or hollow points. My example of this was that the .223 round from an M16 is a small caliber round but since it has a much larger powder load, it is quite powerful without being a large heavy projectile like you see with rounds like 0.45 and 9mm and or larger.

I’m not saying that they don’t but again, lower powder load and smaller caliber rounds get you the same ability to shoot someone, not have pass through damage, and have the added benefit of not flattening out to guarantee the death of the person you shoot. In other words, you get fewer dead citizens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.