Family Feud contestant thinks she knows what Popeye's favorite food is, but she's wrong

Olive OylOil, surely?

6 Likes

Sigh. Much missed.

Crafter of the best one-liner ever.

(If someone asks very, very nicely, I’ll watch “The Last Stand” again to find it and clip it from youtube. But I am not writing it down - it’s in the delivery. But far better you watch the whole thing yourselves.)

And

Sigh. It’s impossible to get a cup of tea with a proper toasted, buttered teacake anywhere on the road these days, since Little Chef’s demise.

Sorry for the distractions - back to topic…

3 Likes

The first Popeye’s location in Manitoba only opened in Winnipeg a year ago. Before that, I doubt that she would have ever even known about Popeye’s fried chicken.

Lorette Manitoba does have a Chicken Chef location.

I never said she did. You seem to be engaged in a different conversation than than the one I am.
I was talking about my annoyance with the tendency to use that argument in general, which in fact was used in the comment I was replying to, rather than the out of context sentence fragment from mine that you chose to address.

Surely as a fellow Gen-Xer you must have at least been exposed to “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” (1983)?

3 Likes

I should add that in Canada, Popeye’s Supplements actually has 140 locations, comparable to the chicken outlet’s 192 spots. And unlike the chicken restaurant, they go big on the branding, complete with proper statues in-store. (No spinach, though. Not even token spinach-related merch.)

It’s definitely a bit weird, but I guess having a vaguely friendly-looking cartoon character might draw customers who would otherwise be too intimidated to walk in and purchase a jar of whey powder? It’s arguably more appealing than, say, GNC, which just seems kind of sterile in comparison.

Anyway, it would have been amusing if the contestant in question had rung in with “Protein powder!”

And I suppose I should further add that if you enjoyed Jason Yungbluth’s Weapon Brown, the further adventures of Popeye among the apocalypse-ravaged comic strip characters of yore have recently begun.
https://www.whatisdeepfried.com/comic/weapon-brown-aftershock-1/

1 Like

Ah good, a final question answered. Now I can wheel those memories out to the recycle bins.

4 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/us/family-feud-canada-popeyes-trnd/index.html

Why doesn’t that one-box?

Popeyes gives ‘Family Feud Canada’ contestant $10,000 worth of food after her wrong answer goes viral

12 Likes

No, actually. I would have been 13 in 1983 though, so that would probably explain it. But it was weird how absent Mickey was in the stuff I remember growing up. There were plenty of Warner Brothers cartoons from the same vintage of the classic Mickey shorts on Saturday mornings, but not any Disney ones. Heck, I even remember seeing the occasional Popeye cartoon, even if he wasn’t anywhere near as popular as the Warner Brothers characters.

1 Like

Isn’t that exactly how Family Feud works?

I think I remember a host saying before those boards flip over, “Survey says!”

5 Likes

I think a “Wimpy” question would have caused similar confusion since there used to be a Wimpy restaurant in the states.

1 Like

I thought it was clear from my comment that I understood how the show is played, but perhaps not.

The point that I seem to have failed to make is that while “name an example of something that fits this category” is something that makes sense to poll a crowd for, a factual question with a single correct answer is not.

“Name a cartoon cat” — Yes
“Name Garfield’s favorite food” — No

4 Likes

May I be the first on this thread to state that Popeye (the movie) is a tad underrated. Yes, it’s strange… but not in a bad way. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Interesting, I’ve recently been enjoying some of the classic Disney shorts from the 30s and 40s with my kids now that they’re available on Disney+. I remember a lot of them from when I was young but I can’t remember exactly where I originally saw them. We didn’t have cable so either they must have been on broadcast TV in the early 80s or we rented them on VHS.

Meh. I don’t see a problem. The show’s contestants are still being asked, “How would most people answer this question?”, and it’s not a yes or no question.

I’m actually a little surprised “chicken” wasn’t somewhere on the list of answers, given how old Popeye cartoons are.

Kudos to this woman and her outside-the-box thinking. She looks like she’s having so much fun. I could learn something from her.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Girls-Mickey-Mouse-Short-Shorts-Red/0RV9S4OERAMP

5 Likes

They were using him heavily in some of their early childhood media. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes, to the extent they had a plot, focused on Mickey. On and off for almost 15 years there have new Mickey cartoons,. They’re awful, but they are the bait in the child trap.

1 Like

You must be at least a Baronet in order to qualify for having a feud.
A mere Knighthood, despite the term evoking armed combat and the like, will only entitle you to a tussle.
Hereditary nobility is where it’s at, so to speak, as a proper feud is to be meticulously maintained and nurtured over generations.

8 Likes

We make it look like an accident. If it is noticed at all.

4 Likes