Family Feud contestant thinks she knows what Popeye's favorite food is, but she's wrong

Why is a question like this on this format show?

This isn’t like “name an animal you’d see at the zoo” - this one has a singular, defined answer, established by the creator of this fictional character.

Butwhen posed like this the question isn’t “what is the correct answer,” but instead, “what do most people believe is the correct answer?”

5 Likes

Butwhen posed like this the question isn’t “what is the correct answer,” but instead, “what do most people believe is the correct answer?”

That’s also how Wikipedia works.

4 Likes

Mickey is a major character in the Kingdom Hearts series

The last video game featuring Popeye was released 15 years ago, and was bad.

4 Likes

Bob Monkhouse objected to the name so it was changed.

5 Likes

They’ve actually been making new Mickey Mouse shorts since 2013. There are 5 seasons of the show currently available on Disney+ (not to mention a pretty hefty archive of other Mickey stuff spanning the better part of a century).

6 Likes

i always found the concept of the popeye’s restaurant confusing because it seems to have nothing to do with the cartoon character. that’s why i prefer burgers from wimpy’s diner.

6 Likes

Seriously, how is steamed spinach not available as a side dish??

6 Likes

I was expecting the host to say something like, “What is Popeye the Sailor’s favorite food?” That would be expecting a more precise answer. Instead, he left it a bit more ambiguous.

2 Likes

Now if Sony Pictures hadn’t been garbage, maybe she would’ve known:

3 Likes

That is the quote of the day. Congrats

8 Likes

Actually, both the original comic strip Popeye and Robert Altman’s live-action Popeye (wich was more based on the strip than the cartoons) hate the taste of spinach and only eat it when they absolutely have to.
I think that’s supposed to be the original joke, wich was then bowdlerized in the Fleishner cartoons. But even there spinach is always a booster, never a snack.

12 Likes

CBC has been flogging this show with unusual enthusiasm. Not that it’s made me any more likely to bother tuning in.

Anyway, it seems the most recent Popeye cartoon was this little number from 2012:

I agree, that is much more questionable. Good on them to get the outtakes circulating.

1 Like

They seem to be getting better; Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won the academy award for Best Animated Feature.

8 Likes

That’s actually smart. As a GenXer, I know precisely two things about Mickey: 1) He has a girlfriend who looks exactly like himself in drag named Minnie 2) He’s the symbol of Disney. I know nothing about his personality, backstory, whatever. Considering half the point of the Sonny Bono act was to prevent him becoming public domain, he seemed hardly worth it.

5 Likes

Nah, I never respect that argument; I know about tons of shit from way before my time (yeah, like for instance Katzenjammer Kids, Yellow Kid, Popeye and Mickey when he was a character and not a mascot). It’s called “history.” People just writing off their ignorance with “I can’t be expected to know anything not ‘relevant’ to me or before my time” does not merit respect.

5 Likes

Presumably you are also ignorant of many things from way before your time. And even if you aren’t, there was a time in your life when you were.

4 Likes

Good, because he wore the same pair for a loooong time…

(do I need to put a winky-face?)

16 Likes

I don’t think you could get it at Wimpy’s either.

TIL that there are still Wimpy restaurants open in the UK. I haven’t seen one since I was a kid. I honestly thought the company was deader than Little Chef.

3 Likes

Sure, but I never, ever use “that was before my time” in and of itself as a way to defend my ignorance.

3 Likes

She didn’t. Nor did anyone else. “Popeye the sailor hasn’t been culturally relevant in her lifetime, whereas Popeye’s Chicken has” is simply an explanation for how she could give the answer she gave. And she seemed like a good sport about it.

1 Like