Edinburgh parents inconsolably distraught over chalk drawing that looks like Peppa Pig in bacon sandwich advertisement

Originally published at: Edinburgh parents inconsolably distraught over chalk drawing that looks like Peppa Pig in bacon sandwich advertisement | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Edinburgh vegans have hit out after an Edinburgh cafe used a drawing of cartoon character Peppa Pig to advertise a bacon sandwich.

I’m pretty sure those vegans weren’t going to approve of that sandwich under any circumstances.

Locals noticed a chalkboard sign at the Gordon Street Cafe, on Market Street in the city centre, that used animations to sell its meaty breakfasts.

They somehow created an animated chalkboard??

26 Likes

Good job, living up to the negative stereotype of vegans as humorless people looking to be offended.

27 Likes

a pig that bears a passing resemblance to the cartoon character Peppa Pig on an Edinburgh restaurant chalkboard sign advertising bacon sandwiches.

Good! Well played, Edinburgh restaurant.

14 Likes

Whether your kids eat meat or not, there’s no reason not to tell them that it comes from animals and which types of animals it comes from.

37 Likes

"Another suggested that someone should ‘use lipstick’ to change the smiley face seen on the chalkboard to a sad face, "

or you know… chalk?

4 Likes

Perhaps intended as a “lipstick on a pig” joke?

15 Likes

I’m more concerned about the second one… is that a farmer sandwich?

Oh, it’s a cow? Ok, carry on.

10 Likes

Yes, I get the worry over the Peppa + Bread part of the advertisement, but underneath it is drawing of a human + bread. Does that mean they serve both regular pork and long pork?

13 Likes

“That’s going to make a lot of children question food. I support that but damn this is pretty sick."

This is actually good for bitcoin veganism.

4 Likes

Edinburgh Live has some hilariously stupid reporting. I read it on a daily basis. It’s great.

11 Likes

Can we get the UN Special Rapporteur for first world problems to deplore this situation?

6 Likes

English is great that way, though, thanks to Norman/Saxon doubled vocabulary. In most languages it is impossible to speak of the meat without the animal being referenced. But in English we can speak of things like “beef” and “pork” and “mutton” and unless you know French you aren’t immediately put in mind of the animal.

6 Likes

We had a local breakfast restaurant put up a sign a few years ago that said something like “I yield for bacon at $restaurant”. And cue national news:

3 Likes

I dunno, maybe it’s in bad taste, but I bet the sandwich tastes pretty good.

2 Likes

“I yield for bacon” is a pretty innocuous ad. I mean, I’ve seen Wendy’s Baconator billboards, they never struck me as controversial. If one doesn’t partake in bacon or meat, that’s fine, but not sure why advertising a food you don’t like is somehow “offensive”. I suppose placement like outside of a synagogue or mosque might be a different story, but the article didn’t mention anything like that, but that it was in a busy area.

4 Likes

The sign also uses a character that has a likeness to a cow cartoon from the children’s show The Magic Roundabout.

5 Likes

And this should be part of the radical vegan’s plan to win over kids to the cause.

So either this is fake outrage, designed by the militant vegan tendency in an attempt to get as many people as possible to see this sign, or it is fake veganism, designed by militant meat eating reactionaries who are engaged in a futile attempt to suppress information about where bacon comes from.

My money is on the vegans.

4 Likes

Mmmm… peppered pig sounds wonderful. :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

15 Likes

There are multiple locations of the restaurant Oink in Edinburgh as well. At least one of them has this in the window. But for some reason, it’s the drawing some vegan parents find objectionable. That’s hilarious.

18 Likes