An appreciation for the animated food in Studio Ghibli films

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/25/an-appreciation-for-the-animat.html

9 Likes

The feels. I has them.

9 Likes

10 Likes

Somehow I am jaded enough to expect the same “intelligent selection” of suggested content to be attached to an article on “food poisoning.”

3 Likes

When I visited the Ghibli Museum in Japan a couple years ago, they had an entire wing dedicated as a temporary exhibit on the food in Miyazaki’s films. Much the same content as the article, but more and with models and a recreation of a kitchen from one of the films, tatami mat and all (had to remove shoes to pass through).

12 Likes

It’s worth noting that food has a huge and often unappreciated role in Tolkien.

9 Likes

Every time I see Calcifer I crave bacon and eggs.

6 Likes

Such a wonderful post. Thanks Pesco!

6 Likes

My daughter started writing a Ghibli cookbook about a year ago! Serious Eats is my favorite cooking site. I’ll have to show her this.

8 Likes

I first watched Princess Mononoke in a fansubbed version where the subtitles had been affected by some sort of error that, among other things, replaced capital E at the start of a word with capital B.

At one point, Mononoke is offering Ashitaka a piece of dried meat and telling him “Eat.”

Or, in this version, “Bat”.

2 Likes

My favorite anime food was always the huge, ridiculously elaborate parfait. I often wonder if these are a real thing you can actually get in Japan.

Awwww yeah.

EDIT: Evidently so!

5 Likes

“Po-ta-toes! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew - even you couldn’t say no to that!”
You will notice no mention of french fries.

2 Likes

Sigh. I miss the food in Japan. I’d even be happy with a Japanese Denny’s nearby.

1 Like

Midnight Diner on Netflix. need. more. episodes.

3 Likes

Several companies in the food industry in Japan usually make commercials for TV with very cool cartoons.

3 Likes

The second season of Midnight Diner features end-credits recipes. I’ve already made “Salmon & Mushrooms” and the cabbage rolls. Both are to die for.

1 Like

Seventeen posts. 17. And not one of you has mentioned Ponyo shouting “Ham!” or passing out after eating noodles! (Which is how my girlfriend got her nickname of “Ponyo”, though as a vegetarian she never shouts for ham with such delight.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.