New Studio Ghibli film coming this year from Hayao Miyazaki and son Goro Miyazaki

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/new-studio-ghibli-film-coming.html

4 Likes

This is one of my favourite films. I haven’t seen it yet, and it’s one of my favourite films. It isn’t even made yet, and it’s one if my favourite films. It’s a Studio Ghibli film so, by definition, it is one of my favourite films.
Even if there’s no zombies, chainsaws, robots, demons, space ships, masked pirates seeking true love or giant evil gods in it, it is still one of my favourite films.

8 Likes

Really looking forward to this. A few years ago Goro directed another Ghibli film, From Up On Poppy Hill, which I really enjoyed.

7 Likes

Calling this a “new film from Hayao Miyazaki” is a little misguided. Hayao Miyazaki and his son Goro have a very bad relationship and Goro’s projects tend to have little to no involvement from Hayao Miyazaki himself.
There IS a new Hayao Miyazaki film in the works, but seeing as its most likely his final passion project and he can kind of do whatever he wants, it will most likely take a very long time to come out.

3 Likes

This is tricky. The Japanese have a much more (ahem) robust idea of father-son relationships then we do. What happened with “Tales from Earthsea” may seem bizarre to us. But Disney was loathed by his children too. Good luck Goro. You didn’t chose this path. You do you. But we think you have it.

2 Likes

Ghibli produced Ronja, the Robber’s Daughter (on Amazon Prime) which is 3D animated (but cel shaded to make it appear 2d). It’s very good, and if they put even a fraction of work into this film, it will be incredible.

5 Likes

Even though I like a lot of the Ghibli output a lot, I didn’t really like this one. I guess I’m too much attached to the original book and the swedish 1984 movie. Both of these are brilliant, though very short if you re read the book as an adult. I remembered reading the book as a kid and being transported to Ronja’s world for weeks. When I reread it as an adult I finished the whole book in one afternoon :smiley:

I’ve seen that movie so many times as a kid, the casting is just perfect.

As for the Ghibli Earthsea. Let’s all forget that one. It had hardly anything in common with the books except for the names. (Like the current Netflix series ‘Letter for the King’ who used the same system of using all the names and completely changing the story which is utterly confusing if you know the books)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.