Hayao Miyazaki says "How Do You Live?" will be his last movie

Originally published at: Hayao Miyazaki says "How Do You Live?" will be his last movie | Boing Boing

2 Likes
9 Likes

The Wind Rises is a gorgeous film and totally worth coming back for (not that he ever slowed down, anyway). I have no reason to doubt this film will be, too.

3 Likes

Fantastic! My daughter and I are watching Spirited Away right now. She’ll be thrilled to learn there’s (at least) one more movie coming :smiley:

3 Likes

Whenever Miyazaki announces his latest film we be his last:

(I’m happy every time he breaks that promise though!)

9 Likes

Oh, by the way, GKids, the US distributor, is currently running Ghibli Fest all over the states. It’s a rare chance to see the lit films in the theater. I took the Peas Twins to the filmed version of Spirited Away: Live On Stage a few months ago. Unfortunately, that was the only showing, I believe, but there are still a few film dates left!

8 Likes

Yeah … he has literally said every film will be his last since Princess Mononoke.

1 Like

Le Guin wasn’t much happier with the 2006 Studio Ghibli version either. She’d been keen on Hayao Miyazaki taking control of the project, but when the film went to his son Goro in his feature debut, she seemed put off, if remaining polite.

After seeing Sprited Away, Ursula Le Guin made a deal with Ghibli to adapt The Farthest Shore. She didn’t trust anybody with Earthsea except Hayao, but everybody told her he was retired so she let somebody else do it. It wasn’t very good.

2 Likes

Studio Ghibli’s Earthsea is a mess of a story, with significant changes from the plot of the original books. It looks great but it makes bad sense on its own terms.

2 Likes

Perhaps he says this because he fears he will die before starting a new project or in the middle of a project.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.