What would Studio Ghibli films look like as 16-bit era video games?

Originally published at: What would Studio Ghibli films look like as 16-bit era video games? | Boing Boing

2 Likes
3 Likes

Studio Ghibli films rendered in pixel art is something that just goes together really well, as seen in these two that I’ve posted before:

And there are tons more cute examples all over the web:

9 Likes

Did I miss it, or is there no mention of or link to the artist

1 Like

There was a link to an Instagram of an aggregator site. Here is the artist:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cloudtrumpets

5 Likes

Ni No Kuni was a really great game. From the little bit I played of the second one, it might be even better, although Studio Ghibli wasn’t involved. It has a similar feel, though. I look forward to getting back to it one of these days. Too many great games, not enough time to play them.

3 Likes

While it generally was not received as well as the first, I really like the second one a lot.

Note though that I also enjoyed Brutal Legend because it was secretly an RTS

2 Likes

That last picture makes me think of the sad, delightful game “What Comes After”

Trigger warning for suicidal ideation

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Jack Black, too. I don’t think that I played far enough into it to get to the RTS elements, though.

I like that the tone of NNK2 seems not quite so kid-oriented. And not having any Mr. Drippy-like characters that I’ve seen is a huge plus. He was a bit much.

1 Like

Ah yes, the charming Studio Ghibli-style game which starts with the president of the USA heading to make a speech at the UN, then being killed in a direct nuclear strike.

1 Like

Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

But I bet the nuclear warhead was adorable

3 Likes

Actual game footage -

Explode Death Star GIF

3 Likes

Not exactly. I mean, that is the main character of the game, who gets transported to the magical world of Ding Dong Dell. The first game, which was a Studio Ghibli game, kicks off with the death of the main character’s mother. Studio Ghibli movies aren’t all cuteness and flowers, either. But like I said, NNK2 isn’t quite so geared towards younger audiences, although it does retain the feel of Studio Ghibli. To me, anyway. YMMV.

I don’t remember that from the opening. Did you just ruin the ending for me??

1 Like

No, just the cutest explosion I could find.

2 Likes

I don’t know, that dog looks kind of familiar…
Guess I’ll have to take your word for it. For now.

Just don’t park your deathstar in a shady system and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.