Popeyes new flounder sandwich for Lent comes with insurance option

Originally published at: Popeyes new flounder sandwich for Lent comes with insurance option | Boing Boing

2 Likes

If there’s one thing Louisiana doesn’t lack, it’s characters, and Al Copeland was certainly one of those.

3 Likes

I would really love to see an article explaining the name connection. That’s pretty specific, should be provable.

FTR, I worship Popeyes the restaurant.

3 Likes

best hangover cure

2 Likes

I thought maybe it was some kind of “sin” insurance in case the fish actually has chicken in it. Like buying indulgences or something.

9 Likes

Opps we got the pink mush mixed up

4 Likes

I mean, I always assumed the name was a reference to the scene where Hackman shakes down the fried chicken restaurant in the black neighborhood that’s a front for heroin traffic. he bursts through the door and starts wrecking the joint while bellowing “POPEYE’S HERE!”

sure, it’s a tone-deaf reference considering Popeyes is always in a black neighborhood (traditionally) and all the advertising features black people, but that scene predates the franchise and it undeniably links the name Popeye to a fried chicken restaurant. there’s no way it was coincidental. the owner averring the franchise is named after the Hackman character seals it.

3 Likes

I think I see your confusion about the name. I really thought the focus on Lent would make it clearer though. The name is two words mashed together: Pope Yes. It is vigorously pro-Roman Catholic.

15 Likes

Nah, Popeyes is the real deal. The drivethrough at our local one backs up 8 cars deep into the street ever since they brought out The Sandwich. It’s legit good chicken.

5 Likes

fish is meat. they’re all meat.

7 Likes
3 Likes

My imagination went to a policy of if you die and don’t get into heaven due to eatting this sandwich then…

wikipedia cites his obit.

The name Popeye did not come from the spinach-eating cartoon character but from the hard-nosed film detective Popeye Doyle in “The French Connection.” Mr. Copeland liked to say he loved speed and other ways of taking spectacular chances. According to The Los Angeles Times in 1997, he once told a restaurant critic, “If you’ve got a dream, you might as well dream big.”

I don’t have a subscription to the LA Times, so I can’t check if there are any direct quotes.

Given that there were three movies about Popeye Doyle…, perhaps audiences were more attracted to racist, brutally violent, alcoholic womanizers. Kind of like how people once admired high school chemistry teachers turned drug lords.

2 Likes

It’s all about evolutionary distance. Most people (Armie Hammer aside) eschew cannibalism. One step removed most also avoid our fellow primates (probably a good idea from the standpoint of disease). Then come our fellow mammals (“red meat”), which aren’t that great for us either. Then come birds, then fish, then invertebrates, then fungi (which are actually closer to animals than plants) and then plants.

Are you promoting breatharianism?

2 Likes

If it would work, sure. But it seems proponents of that either cheat or die.

1 Like

They named it after Popeye the sailor, but knew they couldn’t do that legally, so they made up another story.

That’s my guess.

3 Likes

images (1)jpeg_phixr

2 Likes

There’s a Hannibal meat restaurant in Italy, Tuscany, with fun signs like « if you’re not happy the Mac Donald is 30km in that direction » or stuff making (light) fun of vegans HANNIBAL RISTO-MACELLERIA, Castagneto Carducci - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor
Seen it but haven’t tried it so I can’t tell if it’s good or not, but it’s funny

2 Likes