Famous landmarks shot "from the wrong direction"

[Read the post]

2 Likes

This reminds me of all the bizarro-selfiies our parents took, back in the day. A bunch of their vacation pictures don’t even have themselves in them. I know!

13 Likes

That “wrong direction” picture of the Taj Mahal is staggeringly beautiful but I’d also like to see what it looks like without the fog obscuring the city beyond.

7 Likes

Reminds me of my Grandmother’s 8mm home movies. She would inevitably accidentally lock down the shutter button, and end up taking movies of things she never intended, and only found out once the film came back from the developer. There’s nothing like sitting through a film of 5 and a half minutes of the interior of a camera bag.

7 Likes

Look at all the crop circles in the picture of/from Stonehenge.

2 Likes

@beschizza @jlw

Someone has set up either Boing Boing itself or the RSS feed to redirect to AMP style pages. Without getting into whether or not AMP is a huge waste of time and energy, this means whenever I bring up Boing Boing pages on my phone, the article is broken. Images and videos, which are usually 90% of the point of a BB article, are missing, and the link to comments at the bottom is as well. As a result, every time I now go to a BB page on my phone I have to go to the url and fiddle around until I’ve deleted the “/amp” from the end in order to get my content.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Making it so the names were only visible when you click the image allows for a great game of guessing the monument.

I got 12.

3 Likes

Back in the 80s I fantasized about a book of just this kind of pictures. I worked as a background designer for an animated TV show. Every episode featured some famous real-world location. Finding reference for landmarks was easy. However we also had to design reverse angles for each location. What is across the street from the Chartres cathedral? Today, with Google Earth, it’s not much of a problem. Back then we had only print sources, and travel photographers never seemed to turn around and shoot backward from the cathedral steps. We imagined sending a photographer around the globe to collect reverse angles of the world’s notable locations.

7 Likes

“famous landmarks as they have never been seen—literally!”

Someone literally doesn’t know the meaning of the word literally.

(Really, like, even by the cleaning staff, like, y’know, four times a day?)

2 Likes

that one of the “mona lisa” is one i can truly appreciate. when we were at the louvre for a two hour forced march during our one night in paris, my wife and i were absolutely stunned at the enormous and surly mob scene in front of that famous painting. we were roped off from it to a radius of 20-30 feet and the protective covering over the painting had all of the optical characteristics of an elementary school window during cold and flu season. the enormous canvas opposite to it was fascinating simply by the size difference between it and the “mona lisa.” probably the most disappointing element in our trip to paris.

2 Likes

Whoa there, buddy, sounds like you’re #DisappointedInBoingBoing

2 Likes

Have you tried clearing your cookies and logging back in?

1 Like

.⅃OOƆ ƧI TAHT

3 Likes

1 Like

Now granted, they aren’t taken with the same lens.

Because if you do that, you end up with pictures like this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.