Fans of Brazil's new fascist president chant "Facebook! Facebook! Whatsapp! Whatsapp!" at inauguration

Yet more examples of unpaid labor created by the internet… /s

4 Likes

Nope. Historically incorrect. Try again.

11 Likes

BS, pure and simple. “Politically incorrect” doesn’t inspire the kind of genuine fear we see in @lanika’s comment above.

This statement betrays your ignorance of what fascists are, especially in regard to their historic co-operation with capitalist enablers and supporters during the early stages of their movements and regimes. For example:

I know it isn’t as compelling as a Whatsapp comment for you, but here’s some analysis from one of those academic experts for whom right-wing populists have such contempt:

7 Likes

But they are the REAL heroes, smashing feminists and anti-racists who are teh REAL fascists!!! I mean, they are RUINING society, expecting not to be oppressed! /s

I’m not sure I can do much more with these ignorant posts now a days other than snark at them.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t either. I presented you with one solid and coherent analysis, but apparently you’re not willing to address the points it brings up and instead fight straw men.

It’s an opinion/analysis piece, not straight reportage.

With Alice In Wonderland “logic” like that, combined with your other displays of ignorance of history, I can see why you’re supporting Bolsanaro’s regime and why there’s no point in engaging you further.

If you want to stake your claim on the wrong side of history by supporting or making excuses for a scapegoating right-wing populist, you’re welcome to do so. However, don’t expect a lot of support for your position on a site like this where people know their history and don’t rely exclusively on social media and cable TV for their news.

10 Likes

Nah, I think they are getting dumber and more obvious.

1 Like

It says a lot about us with so much winning going on.

1 Like

It is kind of fascinating to see people supporting or making apologies for no-kidding fascists in 2019. It’s difficult to apply the Santayana quote to them since it’s quite obvious they never studied enough of the past to end up forgetting it.

I started studying fascism decades ago because I was fascinated with the question “how could the Holocaust have happened?” Little did I know that years later I’d get to speak first-hand to exactly the kind of people who enabled and downplayed the danger posed by the Nazis during the interwar period.

6 Likes

Welcome to bOINGbOING.

4 Likes

A requisite slurp or side-eye is missing:

5 Likes

Thanks for getting that.
I wish that there were a “side-eye” emoji.

Come on Disqus. There’s :roll_eyes: and there’s :thinking: but no :side_eye: ?
Maybe with the next set of updates or the next version.

5 Likes

:smirk:

It needs the smile turned upside down though.

2 Likes

Every single time Bolsonaro comes up, somebody comes to say that calling him fascist is wrong because… because he doesnt have a stupid moustache, or because he doesnt wear beige, or some other bullshit.

Meanwhile, the guy is on the record saying he is ok with torture but you know, the problem of the last dictatorship was just stopping at torture and not going the extra mile for full extermination, whose slogan is “Brazil over all and God over all”, and who has underlings that explain stuff like no problem with the Supreme Court, you can just neutralize it with “a soldier and a corporal”, and a few thousand high-stink turds that I’m not reviewing.

But noooooo see, he doesnt speak German so he cant be a fascist.

9 Likes

Why do we need to repeat this every time a bootlicker comes along?

11 Likes

A crowd of supporters chanting “Whatsapp”?

So many comedic moments were lost, like tears in rain.

“Hey, wazzzzap!?”

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

I keep looking at this emoji that @Avyctes has used here, and for a side-eye substitute it’s just not quite right. Closer?

:smirk:

The code in Disqus says it is a smirk, not a side-eye. The eyebrows on this are wrong, and it needs to be less “smiley”. More like:

1side 2side 3side

4 Likes

I’m a cis white woman with plenty of trans women friends and… They are some of the most beautiful, intelligent and amazing women that I know, yet even knowing that they are somewhat privileged (all are computer engineers, programmers, college educated) I live in fear that one day someone will just be going from Google Campus to their homes and some skinheads just kill them because “Bolsonaro will kill all fa**ots” (a real thing that was chanted in the metro by real people and caught on camera when he won, like hooligans celebrating a score)

I was born and raised in Rio and I left 13 years ago… It wasn’t good then, now it’s a tragedy. My parents are at the end of their lives, on their 70s, set on their ways and don’t want to move - and they deal with news of shootings and war between police and traffickers daily. It’s a lesson on how much you adapt to keep on living your daily life. Only after you move out you can look behind horrified at all the things that you coped with as “normal”.

I don’t want my children growing up to cope and survive by adapting, silencing, detouring, rerouting, avoiding and all the other tricks that I had to learn as a child under a dictatorship. It shouldn’t be normal. Never.

9 Likes

Agreed; it’s not really serviceable as a good replacement.

3 Likes

We have a saying here: Brazil is wonderful, the problem is Brazilians.

I could talk hours about every hidden gem that I know in Rio, I have given tours to plenty of friends in the past. I miss Rio every single second of my life.

Rio will continue to exist. People come and go, maybe some day it will be a great place to visit again and I’ll take you to drink some amazing beer in Copacabana :blush:

4 Likes