Could Brazil become a military dictatorship once again?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/could-brazil-become-a-military.html

6 Likes

But fascism is really hot right now

Roger That!

10 Likes

Seems at least as likely as the US becoming one.

5 Likes

So like the business cycle, is there also a fascist cycle? I certainly hope not.

5 Likes

The fascism is fascinating and let all the people fascinated.

This shift to the right has been driven by social networks. Nowadays, those who think differently are accused of being Communists. Some even said that the CIA is communist …

3 Likes

Brazilian here

Brazil will not become a military dictatorship once again (it’s bad for business), but extreme right wing is raising (as everywhere) and trying to hack and undermine our democracy and social achievements.

They probably gonna stay for a while. The political scenario is a little bit weird right now

16 Likes

The impression I have, reading the news from the United States in newspapers and even in Boingboing, is that many of these methods of dissemination of counter-information, for example, were imported from there and applied here.

1 Like

They chose a strawman and this strawman is taking a beating without knowing exactly what to do.

1 Like

There’s a worldwide push by the fascists to bring the world “in line” much as there was about a hundred years ago. We’ve got to stop it from happening there, too.

2 Likes

You might be misunderstood to be saying that the US learned about military dictatorships (or counter information?)… from Brazil?

Oh no. I was trying to say that all the tatics used by the so called alt-right are being used here nowadays. You have fake news, reputation assassination and so on.

2 Likes

Oh, yes. That is an observation I agree with. Led me to change my account name and avatar.

1 Like

Weird here (US) too. Stay safe.

4 Likes

Ah, I see. I had to Google your avatar. This cartoon “Rocky and Bullwinkle” wasn’t popular here. In fact, I don’t remember if it was even aired here. We preferred Milton the Monster and Underdog and obscure japanese shows.

But when the general election is closer, the environment will become more toxic, especially in social networks and applications like Whatsapp (which we call affectionately zapzap), but I believe in the streets as well.

Good times when only a few newspapers did such dirty work.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Retired military running for office is hardly the harbinger of fascism. Why, we even survived the presidency of General Eisenhower just fine.

4 Likes

I was just thinking that: So what? Military people are not necessarily bad people, and if everything they’re saying is true…maybe this junta is doing the right thing? That’s possible, anyways.

3 Likes

I certainly hope you are right and Brazil doesn’t become a military dictatorship again. And I wish you all the best dealing with the anti-democratic elements in Brazil. I disagree that military directorships are bad for business, though. They may be bad for a well-rounded diverse economy but they have shown themselves very good for many types of business and many in the business community welcome them.

2 Likes

I think it’s in the context of Brazil not having escaped military dictatorship that long ago (30 years according to the write up). And while former military types run for office all the time, it’s maybe unsettling to see the large number of well-connected military types running.

2 Likes

The whole problem is the new narrative on how the democracy is bad for everyone and that these last 30 years we have lived under the burden of criminal leftist that just wanted to steal the money of the nation and destroy the family transforming all the citizens in gay atheists.

Nowadays, leftist and Communist are swearings worse than those involving the honor of the mother and masculinity of people.

5 Likes